Monday, August 15, 2022

Getting ready for snow

Weird- we're getting these tiny little gnat type bugs in the house, but only in dh's den. In the evenings, when he's in there on his computer, wherever they are coming from, are attracting to the light from his monitors and driving him nuts. We cannot figure out where in the world they could be coming from/how they are getting in and they aren't going to any other light sources in the house. I was sitting in the living room with the floor lamp on and no bugs around it. Mostly we just want to figure out how the heck they are getting inside the house. 

I think we'll be going into the city sometime this week to get the snow plow dh wants for the Mule. He had gotten a quote the week before last, and as with most business's these days their inventory is low/limited. This dealer has already gotten their allotment of snow plows for the year from the manufacturer and if we wait until October or November to try to buy the one he wants, we'll probably miss out on getting one for this winter. Or at least getting the one he wants. Plus it ended up being about $500 less than he thought it would be. They charge $650 for installing it, but dh will do that himself, so we won't be spending money for that.

Of course my mom had completely forgotten about whatever happened Saturday evening. I called her in the morning and she was good. I watched her a couple times on the camera and she seemed fine. After she returned from dinner, I saw her dispense her pills (she's been remember that more on her own lately), then she called me, but couldn't remember why she was calling. I knew she had just dispensed them so I commented did you take your pills? She said she has them in her hand right now and will take them when we hang up. We hung up and I got back on the camera to make sure (no caregiver had come yet) and see her set the little dispenser cup on the edge of her desk and walk off to do something else. Oh good grief! LOL. Then the caregiver showed up and I think mom started to tell was just going to take them, but thankfully she wanted to make sure herself so she walked over to the dispenser with no cup in it and didn't see the cup sitting on the other end of the desk. She said the cup is missing and turned to look for it over at mom's sink but then mom said here it is and took it from the desk, so all got taken. Then there was the announcement over the hallway loudspeaker about "Sunday movie" time and mom said what did they say? Caregiver said it's a movie, if you want to go watch you still have about 5 minutes. Mom says "oh, I never go watch those" and she says oh, you were down there last night and mom says "I was?? I don't remember. What was the movie?" and caregiver says I don't remember which one it was, I left right after it got started. Also, since caregiver is there all day yesterday to help her various clients, if something "bad" had happened with mom at the movie night on Saturday, she most likely would have heard about it, and I didn't get the impression she knew anything about it - or if she had I'm guessing she wouldn't have suggested mom go down again, haha. Mom didn't go down. Typically those movie nights on Sat and Sun aren't something she usually does.

I think I'll use my $200 gift card to buy something to put on the wall, over the new sofa, in my office. It needs something. The problem is I have no idea what I want there so it will probably take me forever and a day to figure out what to put there. But, I think it needs to be large, whatever it is.

12 comments:

  1. Oh crap, snow! I'm not ready for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These yucky bugs come from everywhere and nowhere all at once, ugh. I am going to pretend I didn't read about snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they have a short "season" of how long they are around/live, haha.

      Delete
  3. I am shocked to read about snow since it was 96F today. But, we never get snow, almost never, so not worried, just shocked. I agree it is better to get limited or important things early.

    When those bugs bother me, it is always at the laptop screen. Inevitably, I find something, speck or smear they are coming from. I use the electric flyswatter for those, clean, and go nuts. They seldom happen, but it is often a banana getting ripe that they come from. I don't mean to say you are nasty, but those don't come into the house, they just live there for their short lifespan. The place they come from may not be even near his laptop.

    I am glad your mother is not hurting from whatever happened or she thought happened at the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's still 90 degrees here, but gotta plan ahead, otherwise he might be stuck plowing with his old quad, plus after we get the plow attachment we can put the quad/plow up for sale

      Delete
    2. Sink drains was our problem last year. They sell these plastic apples with a liquid in and takes care of them slowly. They drove me crazy. Joyce

      Delete
    3. it's so weird because the only place we are seeing them in in dh's den.

      Delete
  4. We've been getting a big snow in October a couple years now so doesn't hurt to prepare. The gnats find ways in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to be prepared as much as possible. Sometimes we get snow in October, too.

      Delete
  5. Check out a website called Sunlandhomedecor.com - I bought a few really nice things to hang on the walls of our second home in the SW. Quality was great! I ordered a huge square sun & got so many compliments on it! Sadly, we left it when we sold the house & the buyer bought everything in the house. You can take the measurements given & then put markers on your wall to see if that's the size you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of that decor website. I will check it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete