Sunday, April 4, 2021

Sunday

Thank you everyone for the kind words yesterday. While we knew he was certainly up there in age, he was doing well, so this came on very sudden and not much time to get used to the idea he's not going to be our constant companion anymore.

This is the last picture he was in. It was taken Friday evening about 7:30 after we got done putting our new patio dining set together. He was perfectly fine. When I went to bed at 9:30 he was asleep on the bed, breathing normal, but when dh came in at 1am it had all changed for him. 

It sure is quiet here. He was noisy! He had thick nails and hard to keep short so he clickety clacked across the floor and always had to follow me everywhere, pretty much. DH is taking it super hard. We were sitting at our new patio table yesterday afternoon, just trying to decompress and enjoy our new seating and the view and warm weather. But, of course the gun shots started up. Yay...

We don't have a vet in our county. (gosh it sure seems like one would do a good business, just abut everyone I know has pets).. My mobile vet I had been using is no longer in business, so I had to make a choice to go into the emergency vet in the city or to a country vet in the next county. I decided on the country vet, with an extra 15 minutes to our drive. I didn't want to deal with the city, the crowded feeling, etc. The vet in the county to the north of us is small and it's about an hour drive in a pretty scenic route. They were very nice and we chose to have him cremated and get the ashes back.  I was also surprised at the cost. Not that I would have really cared what he charged, but it was only $180. $35 for the visit and $145 for the euthanasia and cremation. DH said he just didn't have the heart to bury him on our property.

Give your pets lots of hugs. They aren't here with us long enough, are they?

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're still shocked from loosing one of your dearest dogs.
    We had our last dog cremated & reserved in a nice wood box. We are so glad we did that. You guys will be too.
    I like your patio set. It goes with the house & the outdoors.
    I hope you have a peaceful quiet day.
    Take care =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) My dh said the same about the patio set, that it matched our house well.

      Delete
  2. I like the patio set. Does it have cushions? Have you looked on the internet for a mobile vet? Maybe there has been a startup that you have not heard of. I think I would contact the out-of-business vet. Maybe he will start his mobile business again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did contact him, when I got the email that he was discontinuing his business. I had hoped that who he sold the mobile vet van to was going to start up, but no. He was the only mobile vet in our area that I found, sadly.

      Delete
    2. I meant to add it does have navy blue seat cushions

      Delete
    3. I biggified the picture and I could see clearly!

      Delete
  3. It is so hard to lose a pet, let alone so suddenly. When our cat passed away, we buried him here in the backyard but cremating and having the ashes is a great option too. It is a bummer about your mobile vet though, but I am glad the vet was affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found the mobile vet I was so glad, as our dogs were aging, I thought home visits and care would be so much nicer. I wish he could have stayed in business. I see there are a lot of options on what to do with the ashes, so trying to decide. I like the idea of having some of them made into something. Interestingly enough, when I was looking online at idea for the ashes I came across that there is a pet euthanasia service that will come to your home, but they only service the city area, they do not come out as far as we live.

      Delete