Thursday, June 18, 2020

The usual mornings

Well, my mom had the past 2 mornings "not feeling well". Same old story. No exact problem or symptoms she can describe. They often seem to correspond to mornings when she is expected to do something......like I am coming. Or previously, when her BF was alive, it was days she was supposed to go visit/stay with him. Yesterday was the first morning the dining room is opened back up and she's supposed to go down for breakfast, rather than them bringing everyone's meal to their apartment. Of course, she didn't feel well. She says she called down to ask for her meal to be brought up and whoever she talked to wasn't very nice and said she had to come down. Well, of course then that upset/stressed her out more. I called her about 10:45 and then she had a knock on the door and it was the lady who I think is asst. mgr (her husband is mgr) making sure she felt ok. My mom asked her if she could just call down if she didn't feel well and she told her yes, definitely.

I made sure my mom had taken her meds and look at her pillbox while on the phone with me. She insisted she has. She always acts like this is the first time she hasn't felt well in the mornings and I gently reminded her that she has had this several mornings a week for the past couple of years and always within a couple of hours she feels fine for the rest of the day. I said I think you just have some mornings where you don't feel so well and just takes a bit longer to get going for the day. I think some of it is she gets up and starts worrying about this or that, and especially if she's expected to be on a timeline, I think it stresses her out and she thinks she doesn't feel well.

So, it doesn't appear that it's the Tylenol PM causing "the mornings" but I have noticed she seems much more alert and doesn't sound groggy, like she used to. Either way, I do not think taking Tylenol PM almost every night (and sometimes 2 pills) is a good/healthy thing.

I emailed the lady who I think is the assist. mgr of the place. I explained that my mom has never been one to be up and ready by 8am (their breakfast time). At her previous independent living place she kept milk, cereal, toast etc in her apartment and that is what she had most mornings, when she was ready to eat, and only went down for lunch and dinner. I said we wanted to make sure my mom was doing what is expected of her and not causing anyone there confusion, so if she wants to eat her own breakfasts in her apartment, does she need to call down every morning to tell them she's not coming down? And if she does want them to send up a breakfast for her, I'm assuming she can call down for it to be brought up and just pay the $5 fee (which she doesn't mind doing)? She only emailed back that if she doesn't want to come down for breakfasts, it will not be a problem. I guess I'm to read that that she doesn't need to call down and let them know she's not coming. I hate when people can't answer something you specifically asked, LOL. But this is "independent" living. I wouldn't think residents would need to let them know if they aren't eating there. Some obviously have their own vehicles, they could be going out to eat at a restaurant or a relatives home or something.

I know when my mom lived in her own house, I don't think she got up most mornings until 8:30 or so.  Plus she has to take her omeprazole pill and wait 30 minutes before eating breakfast. I just don't see her being one to be up, showered and dressed before 8am. She'd probably have to get up by at least 7, just to feel awake enough to get moving and get ready by 8am.

She did call me about 4:45 pm and said she had just been out in the sitting room area near her apartment visiting with some others and was going down to dinner and she was fine and seemed very chipper.

My uncle called last night with some not so good news. He just found out he has skin cancer on his scalp. Hopefully it's something they can remove and he'll be fine, but I was having a hard time getting out of him the prognosis and the when of removal. He was more intent on talking about his estate and final wishes, so my questions weren't getting answered. I figured since he just found out that day, he's probably a bit overwhelmed and I just let him say what he needed to say and I'll give him a call in a few days. He is 76, 3 years younger than my mom. He also said he wasn't going to say anything at this point to my mom, since her memory isn't too good and he also wants her to focus on adjusting to her new place, rather than worrying about him. I agree.


18 comments:

  1. I would be so upset if anyone told me I had to be someplace for breakfast EVERY morning by 8 am! I agree with not answering questions. At least you have the emails detailing your question and response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be upset too! At her other independent living place it was set up more like a restaurant, so you could do down for breakfast at any time in the morning and sit and order. This place is a dining room with set meals times, 8 am, noon, and 5pm

      Delete
  2. I will whole heartedly agree not getting specifc answers to specifc questions is bery irritating. I'd rahter get "I don't know the answer to XYZ" rahter than a repspnse that pretendsit is answering. I remember my mom frequenlty just not feeling well, but would never be abel to really put her finger on it. I give you somuch credit for supporting her independence asmuch as possible, while it is clear her memory and confusion may be difficult. Remember that on the harder days-you are doing a great job helping her maintina a high quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what was going thru my mind yesterday, just want to support her to be as independent as possible (or at least think she is, haha!).

      Delete
  3. I agree with SAM, you’re doing an important job just keeping an eye on her and helping her to adjust to the new routine.
    I would NEVER be ready for breakfast at 8am! Takes me till 9 or 9.30 and several mugs of tea before I can meet the public! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the 8am! I would hate to have to have a set time each morning to eat breakfast. Some mornings I'm just not ready. Seems like they should have (at least for breakfast time) the dining room open from like 7:30 to 9:30 and people can come in when it suits them. I'm sure some are early birds and some are not. Lunch at noon and dinner at 5 is fine, but breakfast should be a little more flexible.

      Delete
  4. I would probably make sure your mom has some easy breakfast type foods and tell her not to worry about going for breakfast. Whatever she likes-cereal, pop tarts, nutrigrain bars, Frozen waffles,just easy stuff. When her microwave is functioning a bunch of options become Available. I think if she gets to know some people and starts to feel more comfortable in her new surroundings she will have better days. She has too much time on her hands right now to think about things, and worry about things that don’t really matter. I think it’s good they have set times for meals because it gives her somewhere to be a couple times a day and gets her out of her apartment. I have heard that having a dog that needs a walk is good for that very reason-gives a person something they have to go do every day. When my mom was still living in her home we tried to talk her into a dog. She never would agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. She does have milk, cereal and bread for toast and small keurig. They can have small dogs and cats there (in fact our mobile vet says he sees a lot of animals there) but I know she would never get one. She's not a pet person - drove me nuts growing up LOL.

      Delete
    2. I knew that would come off as-get her a hog lol. I didn’t mean it that way. I was just giving an example of how it can help older people if they have to do something every day. But hey, I am all for people having a pet. I can’t imagine not having my little dog.

      Delete
    3. Her reason has always been she doesn't want to have to take it outside all the time. I'd at least have a cat to keep me company :)

      Delete
  5. The independent living centers I'm familiar with usually have some 'grab and go' items available for residents (things like fruits, crackers, and cookies). I bet your mom isn't the only one who doesn't want to get up for breakfast. Maybe the facility would set out some bagels or something easy to eat on the run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do have a nice "grab and go" area set up, that I keep reminding her about too. A bagel sounds good, LOL!

      Delete
  6. I could never be ready for breakfast by 8:00 a.m.! I second all those who say to keep some easy breakfast things in your mom's room. I forget if she has a fridge, but, if she does, then, she can keep some milk and have cereal, etc. instead of going down for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she does have a small fridge with milk, cereal, bread for toast. The microwave will be set up next week when I get the cart to set it on.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a morning person either so I can understand your mom not wanting to go down for breakfast. If milk and cereal have been her usual breakfast for some time I don't see that they should object!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are fine with it. I also think it's all a bit confusing to my mom right now because they are still not doing all the meals in the dining room for everyone at same day, so it's too hard for her to remember what day is ok for her to go down.

      Delete
  8. I am almost 74 and have a friend who is a bit younger. She said she has trouble sleeping and feels awful if she has some place to go early. Even if she sleeps well, just knowing she HAS to be somewhere, she does not feel well. I wonder what is with this?

    Even having to go down for a bagel would not suit me! I would have to put on clothes and shoes!

    Food in refrigerator or the freezer to nuke would make me happy. Do they know or care she is going to have a microwave available? She can still set things on fire with it. Ask me how I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microwaves are ok to have. Usually she just likes some toast and a banana for breakfast. Or sometimes cereal. I think knowing she has to be somewhere or on a time schedule is probably a lot of what starts bothering her after she wakes up. My mom used to make my grandma morning dr. appts and every single time she's wake up and say she doesn't feel well and my mom would have to reschedule, so I remember telling her to just start making afternoon appt.s for her.

      Delete