Thursday, October 10, 2019

Finding some savings

With my new health insurance my 2 prescriptions are cheaper. Not a huge savings, but I'll take it. I used to pay about $18 for a 90 day supply on both meds. Now it looks to be about $5 for 90 day supply for both. One was at no cost to me, the other was the $5. The refill arrived (2 days earlier than tracking said) so I'm good to go for another 90 days.

My cold seems better today, so at least it didn't turn into some major thing. My poor boss is out for her 3rd day.

We had spaghetti last night for dinner. We've been trying to be better about eating leftovers. The leftover meatloaf I made the other day got eaten as sandwiches and DH at all the leftover blueberry muffins from Sunday morning. He says he's going to have the spaghetti for lunch today. We also discussed trying to stock up as much as possible so that we are only making one trip per month into the city for groceries, instead of every other week. We need an extra freezer, but unless we come across a used one for sale, we're going to hold off for now. We also have the small freezer in the shop refrigerator that we haven't been using. Part of what is taking up room in my freezer is we keep reusing the bag of ice to put in our cooler when we go pick up groceries, so we don't have to buy a bag of ice every time. But, it takes up too much room, so going to move that out to the small shop freezer, if it will fit. I haven't checked yet. I remember there was a shelf in the freezer so might not be able to fit it, but I can put some frozen food stuff out there, if necessary.

I'm sure shopping that way would help keep the budget down, because we would be making sure we are eating up what we bought for the month. Plus we'd have 12 less trips a year to the city. It all adds up. I can think of a few things that we just cut out of our budget that seem small, but over a years time, does start adding up. We (finally!) are not renewing a membership we have had for 20 years, as well as DH is no longer doing the website for the club. We were paying our membership annually ($175) and paying for the website domain and hosting ($155 annually). The prescriptions above being cheaper save me $52/yr. Driving to the city 12x less a year would save about $130 in gas a year.

It sure is pretty here in the snow. We lived here through last winter, but we were in the shop and the few windows in there we had covered with towels to help keep in the heat so we didn't have any views. Now our view are like living in a winter mountain lodge :)





12 comments:

  1. Very nice views indeed. I love snow. Congrats on the savings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely views! I'm glad your prescriptions cost has reduced. That can be a big savings, right there! Shopping once a month sounds like a good move, too. Provided you have a generator to keep the freezer running if there is a power cut! We are facing the threat of power cuts, for up to 6 days, here, in California, and it is making me be even more aware of how much we depend on electricity to keep our lives running smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - 6 days with no power?! that is crazy. We do have a small generator (won't run whole house) that we could use to keep freezer running if need be.

      Delete
  3. Those are breathtaking views!
    Just beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The views are just amazing! Do you think you still need to put the food you buy in ice to get it home in the winter? Maybe you could dump the ice until at least spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't really a bad view from any window, even the windows that you can't see the river from.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Janice that it won't be necessary to use ice in the winter. Then in the spring you may want to consider buying a "blue" (reusable) ice pack. They don't cost a lot and they take up less room than ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get an ice pack. I guess I thought the ice in the cooler still might be needed because the car will be all heated up inside.

      Delete
  6. I would not ditch ice for the winter in the cooler in the car. Tommy and I now carry two small coolers wherever we go. It was down to 84 here today with no chance of getting views like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just nervous to ditch the ice in the cooler, since it's a 40 min drive home and the car is heated to keep us warm. I don't want things starting to thaw out.

      Delete