Saturday, November 25, 2017

Decorating day

Whew! The lights are up and the house is decorated. It took us both just about all day. At least it was warmer outside this year, so DH didn't freeze trying to do it all. My new tree was a job. Sure, it all drops down when you get the parts set up, but then you have to separate all the individual branches. And I'm OCD when it comes to them all being perfect, so it took me like 2 hours just to do all that (and by then my back was killing me being bent over the branches). But, at least I didn't have to put lights on it. LOL. I really like the tree and it's nice having a green tree again (used a white one with blue and silver decorations for last several years). I don't think I ever would have spent $400 for it though!

I have 4 big bins of decorations (plus a few other items here and there in closet, cupboards). I was happy that, with my new sofa table DH made me this past year, I now had somewhere to put some of my Christmas village houses. It always makes me sad when I get to the box that has our Christmas stockings in it and then I have to see the one with our son's name. Then it makes it hard to enjoy decorating the rest of the house/tree. I need to just start remembering to do the stockings last, I guess. There are quite a few ornaments with his name, he made as a kid, or the Hallmark ones my mom got every year commemorating his age. I think I will just put them in their own box, when I clean up this year. I gave DD all of her Hallmark ones. I put one of his on the tree, just to remind me of the good years we had with him, even though it really makes me sad, rather than remembering the good times.

I decided to put the Christmas bedding in the guest room this year. It's supposed to be a king sized duvet, but it's always been too small for my king sized comforter, so I tried it on the queen one in the guest room. It fits pretty prefect. Now DD and BF will have a holiday themed room to sleep in.



I keep the Christmas bedding in a plastic zippered bag the normal bed set came in, but it still smelled a bit musty (and I washed it last year before I put it in there) so I washed it all up, while I was decorating the rest of the house.

DH got lights up along the fence and the front of the house. Half of his time was spent finding the burned out lights. They'd work, he'd get a string up and then it wouldn't work. Same thing every year, right? I told him to leave the top of the porch railing, as the pre-lit garland I ordered should be here next week.  Later than night he got a text from our neighbor friend across the street that said "nice lights".

We both got done around 3:30 and then DH came inside and put my bins and tree box back in hiding and we both just ached and pained, me on the couch and him in his chair for awhile. I know his back and legs were killing him. At least dinner was nice and easy. Heat up leftovers of turkey and the rest of the sides. It tasted even better than yesterday, I think. Something came up about grocery shopping and going to the city and I said we do kind of need to go - it's been two weeks. DH was like no it hasn't! I said yep, it was 2 weeks ago. Last weekend we went in for the vet visit. We still haven't decided if we'll make the trip this weekend. It won't be today. As of now, neither of us feel like going. I might just stock up with what I need for 2 weeks at the local store, this time. We have enough soda and water for at least a couple weeks, so I'll just need mostly dinner stuff.

I have some old bananas and I set out some butter to soften, so maybe this afternoon I'll feel like making a loaf of banana bread. I'm still missing the pumpkin pie to eat. 

5 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pies are easy, so you still have time to bake one or two. I hope you take pictures of the outside, night and day. And, it would be nice to see the inside decorations, too. Thanksgiving and Black Friday put me in bed all Saturday. I slept so well. I understand about the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I think I will still bake one! I like a slice with my morning coffee too and hey it's only once a year ;). I'll try using DH's phone to take on outside picture. My phone is getting old and isn't taking very good night or indoor pics anymore.

      Delete
  2. Your description of your husband working outside brought to mind an image of Clark Griswald for some reason! I'm glad you put an ornament of your son's on the tree. He'll come to his senses some day. Hugs to you. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's almost come to Clark Griswold, when the neighbor friend said to DH yesterday "you didn't put lights around the back fence....". Now he wants more lights LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing.Thank for your very good article...!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete