Friday, January 8, 2021

Well that's a fine way to start a Friday!

I work with 2 monitors. Yesterday afternoon my "main" monitor was kind of flashing a little bit. This morning it was still doing it. I was logged into my side job and the time on that remote computer desktop was showing 4am for some reason (it was 7am their time). I was messaging with dd and told her and she said "go back to bed! LOL". Then shortly after my monitor went black. Crap! Since it was my "main" monitor I couldn't even see to log out remotely or get any of that stuff over to the other monitor. I told her I should have taken her advice and gone back to bed!

We have a second spare monitor that dh recently found when he was organizing/unpacking bins, so I asked him to get that out for me and I hooked it up. I'm back in business, but it's a much smaller monitor so isn't really going to work for the long run. I figured my office probably has spares, so I messaged my boss to see, but she said all the spares got scavenged for everyone to set up home offices, but she said she would order me a new one (or two), no problem. I said 2 would be really nice, so the screens are the same size, plus now that I have this smaller/spare monitor plugged in, the screen on it is nice and bright and I now realize how dark my other monitor is! and I have it set on it's brightest setting. So, time for new ones. She is getting me 2 23" monitors ordered for me through Amazon. Nice.

I really need to figure out how to get a 2nd monitor hooked up 2 dh's computer. I can't for the life of me figure it out. His computer isn't very old but for some stupid reason there is only 1 monitor plug in (the kind with the pins). Seems like most people nowadays use 2 monitors, and seems like computers should be set up that way. My year old computer that work got for me also only has one pin type monitor plug in, but then there are 2 usb type plug ins (though bigger than usb), that they sent me cables for, that plug into back of computer and then go into these 2 usb type plug ins in the computer. I checked the back of dh's computer again, but only see one monitor plug in and regular usb size plug ins. There must be a way or an adapter I can order that plugs to the monitor and has a regular usb on the other end. I know he'd really like to have 2 monitors again and after I get my new ones we'll have 2 extra monitors, now. Might as well use one of them. I'll have to do some research for some kind of adapter cable.

My mom is all confused. She couldn't remember that I had picked up 2 gift cards to send to DD/SIL for Christmas gifts from her. Then a few days after she was home from Christmas she said she had talked to dd on the phone and was sending her a check for Christmas. I told her she already got them the gift cards and paid me back, so then she says "oh, well, they can have a little extra, I guess". So, on Monday dd gets the check in the mail. Then last night dd messages me "I just got another check in the mail from grandma!". She obviously forgot she had just mailed one a few days before she mailed that one. This second check was for a lesser amount, LOL. 

So, what do we do? If I tell my mom, she'll just end up saying oh, ok. well she can just cash that too. And like dd said, if we tell her she'll just get confused and stressed and probably won't get it subtracted out of her register anyway, if we tell her dd isn't cashing it. The other strange thing is she dated the check correctly on 1/2/21, but then wrote a note to dd in with it and dated the note 2/28/20....... I told dd to just cash it and we'll not say anything to grandma about it. (it's not like she can't afford it LOL) The other mystery is the check # is 1012. The last check I know she wrote and cleared was on 1/1 for her rent and it was check 1009....what did she do with 1010 and 1011? nothing has cleared yet with those numbers. Maybe she just messed up writing them trying to write the second check to dd. If I find out that all that happened I'm not going to worry too much, but if she ended up writing these checks and mailing for who knows what, then I will have to end up taking over it completely from her.  Right now her place is in quarantine because of the positive covid test, so I can't go visit her again.

Well, here's hoping for a more uneventful rest of the day :)

8 comments:

  1. In my opinion, this should be the end of her check writing. For people I know and know of, check writing abilities went down fast. Do you think she accidentally ripped out each missing check with another check and is saving the missing checks to use later? I think for sure if she writes another Christmas gift to daughters, it is enough reason to take the checkbook away.

    I am glad you got your computer screens all sorted out. My laptop appeared to die two days ago, but it lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to figure out how to get rid of these old monitors and 2 old computers we have taking up space.

      Delete
    2. Look for centers that have e-Recycling.

      Delete
  2. I like your boss a lot because she is so supportive. Enjoy your new screens. My laptop is getting old and I am gonna have to replace it possibly during 2021. I had purchased this from my former employer at the remaining book value when I left the company. It is a major expense with the current prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the missing checks were gifts to your son? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure if she wrote him a check he'd have cashed it the second he got it and nothing has cleared. On Wednesday her SS gets deposited so I will call to remind her to write than in her register and then ask about those check #'s and see what/if she remembers

      Delete
  4. Great blog, thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete