Thursday, January 14, 2021

Gremlins

The universe is trying to tell me something this past week and a half. What, I'm not sure, but it sure wants to keep throwing wrenches into my work day, that's for sure. 

Since coming back from the nice holiday break, my email spent over a week crashing. Last Friday my monitor died. My boss and I keep both having issues with our accounting software either not working or not wanting to work if we are both logged in. Tuesday I couldn't print, save or email documents via our accounting software. Yesterday at 10:30 the power went out and didn't come back on until 4:15pm. 

And today I go to run the app we have added to our accounting software, where I transfer over employees expense reports to cut them checks and it's missing, as well as the app I have for doing 1099 forms each year. I got the tax app added back on no problem, but can't get the expense app added (it's always a pain to add). Then I realized our accounting program is back to having it's issues it's been having the past month where it won't switch over to multi-user mode so my boss and I can both use it at same time. GRRRR!! I give up!

Last June the app disappeared and the IT guy and I were on the phone trying and trying to get it to add back. Finally a couple hours after we gave up, I had an idea that I tried and it worked. Well, now I can't for the life of me remember what I did. That memory has apparently gone into the black hole.........

The power out was an "oh well" type of day. Our house stayed at about 64, so it wasn't too bad. At 3:30 or so the welding guy showed up to do a little work on the fence gate with dh and I decided to turn on the gas fireplace at least get a little heat going. I had it on high and then tried to sit there on the hearth reading a book, but it was too hot, LOL. Then I decided I'd better get out all the candles as it would be getting darker soon. Well, of course as soon as I got all those set out on the counter the power came back on..

Oh - then FedEx delivered a box of some items I ordered from Target. It was a leaking mess. In the box were 4 cans of Progresso beef stew/soup. One can had somehow leaked (how does that happen?!) and made a mess on the other 3 cans and a bit on my boxes of granola bars. The package the scissors I ordered was soaked with stew. Ugh. I got it all cleaned out/up. Threw out the leaking can. At the time, though, I couldn't clean off anything because we had no water. I just set the box in the sink until the power came on. Once I had running water I cleaned off the 3 cans and took the yucky labels off. I'll just write in sharpie what it is. I put the granola bars in the almost empty box I already had in the pantry and threw away the wet boxes. I also requested a refund from Target for the can.

On a good note, my new monitors are supposed to deliver today. We got the 4 cabinets we ordered for dh's shop, but not the hanging kit we also ordered at the same time from same company. I have an email in to check on status, as I can't see any way to tell if it shipped or what. 

And now I just realized one of my drives on my work computer, which boss and I share and save documents in various folders with each other is missing. 


7 comments:

  1. When it rains it pours with the work tech stuff - yeesh! I am glad the welding guy showed up and actually did his work - ask him if he knows other folks in the trades who have his work ethic in your area!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the funny part is he was asking dh about contractors as he wants to build a house, so dh filled him in on our experience with most of them, LOL. I told him just at least double the time they say it will be done in.

      Delete
    2. That is really the only advice to give him, he has to work with the same folks you do.

      Delete
  2. I just got off a call with someone who had a week like yours, and all we could do was say sorry.1 I hope your Friday is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's better and if not, well it's a 3 day weekend :)

      Delete
  3. I can imagine how annoying this can be. Didn't you say on your blog what you did? It seems like I remember that much. That is a long time to be without electricity and water, but doable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have, I should go back and see, but IT guy did get fixed.

      Delete