Friday, September 13, 2019

My book list

Lots and lots of suggestions on series books to read! Thank you all! I should have plenty to read now for months and months :) I'm going to start with James Patterson Alex Cross series, as soon as the first couple of ebooks are available through my library. Looks to be a short wait and I have enough already in my "bookshelf" to get me by.

Since other's were so kind to take the time to comment and share some of their favorite book series, I thought I'd put together a list of mine. Maybe someone out there is like me, and looking for something new to read, and hasn't read one of these series/books.

The Outlander series - Diana Gabaldon - probably my all time favorite, so you can imagine how excited I was to see the Starz tv series, after all these years of loving these books. Very well done.

The Jack Reacher series - Lee Child. I hear Amazon or maybe it was Netflix, is making a series from it...with someone much more in line with the character's looks than Tom Cruise was (that was terrible casting!)

The Harry Bosch series - Michael Connelly. If you haven't seen the Amazon series, watch it!

The Alphabet series - Sue Grafton. I love the Kinsey Milhone character.

The Kay Scarpetta series - Patricia Cornwell

The Longmire series - Craig Johnson. And the Netflix show was very good. I especially liked how well Lou Diamond Phillips nailed Henry.

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King (a friend told me about this series, says it wasn't something she normally read, but enjoyed it, and so did I)

The Inheritance Cycle/Eragon series - by Christopher Paolini. He was just a teenager when he wrote the first book. My MIL had bought it for my son and it just sat on the shelf. I picked it up and started it one day when I was desperate for something to read and couldn't put it down.

The Robert Langdon series - Dan Brown

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series - Stieg Larsson

The Jason Bourne series - Robert Ludlum

The Clan of the Cave Bear series - Jane M. Auel

The Left Behind series - Jerry B. Jenkins

The Tarzan of the Apes series - Edgar Rice Burroughs (much better than movies, I thought)

there are a few author's I have read that have several series or trilogy's:
Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber are two that come to mind.

of course I don't even need to say Harry Potter....

I have tried a couple of times to read the Game of Thrones books. They are so long and I could never seem to finish before the 21 days borrowing time was up and I wasn't able to renew, as others had reserved it. So, I just watched the tv show, LOL.

If I purchased all the books I read #1) I'd be broke, #2) I'd have a cluttered house full of books. 99% of what I read is borrowed from the library. F-R-E-E!! Before e-books I went to the library and borrowed books (and had to return them on time, ugh, LOL). After e-books, life changed. I can browse books from my couch, borrow/reserve, have them for 3 weeks, and they automatically go back to the library. No having to return or late fees. I have purchased a few of my favorite books from thrift stores and sometimes receive books as gifts. One of my recent favorite gifts was a signed copy of one of Craig Johnson's books.

I also find e-books much easier on my eyes, because I can increase the font size to a more comfortable reading for me.My half sister loves to read, too, but she recently mentioned how she hasn't been reading much lately because it's hard on her eyes. I told her get an e-reader!

10 comments:

  1. This is kind of funny because I said on your past post I was not much of a serial reader but I have read pretty much all of these except for Longmire, the Left Behind Series and The jack Reacher books. I even read all of the Ice and Fire series, but now that I know what a crappy ending he had planned I doubt I will read the others (if he ever finishes writing them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, sounds to me like you are a serial reader, LOL.

      Delete
  2. If you're looking for really quick reads, anything by Tamora Pierce. She's a YA author - full disclosure. That being said, she's build a couple of great worlds.

    And, still on the YA track - Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy YA too. I started reading Anne of Green Gables awhile back but never finished. I liked the YA series, Twilight, Divergent and Hunger Games

      Delete
  3. so what I do if I have an e-book from the library that is about to expire, I turn the wifi off of my device i'm using to read the book. That way the device won't update that the book is expired and I can finish the book. Its a nice little hack that has worked great for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sneaky!! Usually I can finish, but every so often I'm so close and dang, it goes back and I'm not waiting weeks and months again, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the leads on your favorites! Some new ones for sure!

    BTW - how is your mom's house selling going? Has she sold it yet? Will she need any help getting it cleaned out & moved to her new place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been listed about a week. No bites yet. I think an agent came and looked at it. It sound like my son is taking alot of the furniture. Nothing really to clean or clean out - her house is spotless and she's pared down to kind of the minimum of stuff the past several years or so. We'll have help moving with my dd/sil and their truck, my uncle, etc. She's just taking her 2 recliners, her small dining table/2 chairs, and one of her guest beds, her tv and small computer desk. The apartment will be a small one bedroom unit, with a kitchenette.

      Delete
  5. I love Sharyn McCrumb. She doesn't do series but occasionally a character from one book will show up in another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of her, but I will check out. Thanks!

      Delete