Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A short goodbye

I'm leaving for my little trip tomorrow morning, so I probably won't post until I get back. I don't like trying to type on my ipad mini.

We finally got the bill for our water well drilling. I had hoped/estimated/budgeted based on their quote that it would be about $5900. Including a cap for the well, the total came to $5730, so $170 less than my budget amount. They charged us $1 per foot less than what DH had thought he was told on the phone. DH had said he wanted to go into the city and pay the bill in person so he could talk to the owner guy about what kind of pump we'll need, etc. I told him I'm taking next Monday off (be home Sunday afternoon) so we could go do it then, as I'll want to go stock up on groceries in the city, anyway.

Well, as usual all that went in one ear and out the other. He tells me to mail the payment on my way out of town in the morning. I said I thought you wanted to go in and pay in person? Well, ya, but it's due on 10/2 (per invoice) and we can't get there by then. I'm like Monday is the 2nd.......plus I'm going in anyway to shop. "Oh, you have Monday off?" (OMG) So he called up to let the guy know we'll drop off payment on Monday and talk to him about pumps. He was then told if he wants to pay in cash, they'll take 5% off the bill. Ok, sure...that will save us another $286! That plus the $170 probably will pay for a good chunk of the new tires I'm putting on my car on Thursday. Did I mention my less than 2 year old set of tires have lasted 25,000 miles and the wear bars are showing? We always regularly rotate to make last as long as possible. My first (original) set I got 80,000 miles on them and probably could have gotten a bit more, but we wanted new tires before that winter started. When DH called up the tire place (where we used to live and he had done business with his company for years) the guy said they should have lasted 60,000 miles.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some sort of credit for them towards the new set.

I can't wait to see my DD and mom...and boss :)  

11 comments:

  1. Look on the tire and see if you were sold old tires. I seriously don't think men listen to women much at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they were brand new tires we had put on. I think I spent over $600 for them.

      Delete
    2. You can buy brand new tires that are out of date. Ask a tire guy and not the one that sold them to you. And, you can spend a small fortune on tires that will soon be worthless and dangerous.

      Delete
    3. Linda is right about tires. Although they may have been new, when they were manufactured can make a difference.
      Here's how to know when they were made:
      The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

      Have a nice trip and I hope you can also get some things figured out with your mom!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your trip! Hope you have a great time with your loved ones and co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wandered in and want to tell you, as a saver, I applaud you for having a need, budgeting for it, and doing what needs to be done to take care of your needs, even when it’s hard.

    ReplyDelete