Thursday, March 12, 2015

Baby steps

I've been doing very small de-clutters around the house. A bit here and a bit there.  A drawer here and a cupboard there. The other day was the cupboard with all the cereal in it. DD was the biggest cereal eater in the family and most of the boxes were stuff she eats...or wanted to try....and then never finished (the story of her life with food!). Most of it was stale by now and there was one box up there that was several years old! Good Grief! Now there is a box of what DH likes (Peanut Butter Crunch) and a box of what I am currently eating (Cinnamon Life), along with a partial box of Cheerios and Rice Krispies that are still edible. I had a bowl of Rice Krispies last night.

Today I walked by and opened a drawer in our built in china hutch in the dining room. It wasn't very full (I think I had already done some cluttering of it during this past year) but there was some odd stuff in it. Something that looked like a lid to a jar candle...some mismatched napkin rings and little plastic pieces of something I have no idea what from. Tossed it all in the garbage. The drawer is pretty much empty now.

My next de-clutter will be the 4 dress work suits in my closet. I have not worn any of them in over 19 years! They were part of my wardrobe when I worked before DD was born. Nice suits, too! They have spent years tucked away in a corner of DD's closet (because she had more room at the time) and the last several years in my closet. For years I just kept them "just in case" I might end up with a job where suits were required (does anyone wear that anymore?).  By the time I went back to work when she started Kindergarten, business casual was the office attire. Now it's jeans. This past weekend I was looking in my closet and realized even if I ended up with some (god-awful) job where I had to wear a suit - WELL none of these would fit me anymore! They are all size 4 and I ain't no size 4 anymore.  They need to go, so I guess I will fold them up and put them in a box or bag for Goodwill or Salvation Army.  While I'm at it, I'm sure there are still other clothes I can get rid of too..and shoes.

The less stuff the easier it all seems to keep cleaner and the more I want to keep it clean. One little area at a time!

1 comment:

  1. I am doing the exact same thing!! I took 3 bags to Goodwill today after work, & I've been working on organizing my jewelry space (one small jewelry box isn't cutting it anymore so I'm expanding .... but keeping it NEAT) & also going through my closet. Some days I'm ruthless .... other days sentimental. I've learned to just .... look through photo albums on those days LOL

    ReplyDelete