Thursday, February 5, 2015

Traffic is a 4-letter word

Traffic has just been horrendous lately! And I'm not exaggerating! Two of my last 3 commutes home from work have taken me at least 2 hours (I've blocked out the rest of the bad ones from my memory). And I leave work at 3pm! Tuesday it took me 2 hours and 10 minutes to reach my destination of home. It usually takes me about an hour to get to work in the morning (I leave the house at 8:30) and usually 65-75 minutes home. I think it's taken me that long to get home once in the last few weeks.  Doesn't seem to matter if its sun shining or raining (though rain is pretty much a given that traffic will suck). Last week we had a glorious sunny 60 degree day.  I thought the drive home would be breeze. Two hours later I pulled in the driveway :/

I woke up to the sound of pouring rain. Ugh. Gonna be another long commute home. Again. But about 7 minutes before I was to leave the house my wonderful amazing boss emailed and said....you guessed it.....traffic is was really bad. She gave me the option to work from home again today. Heck ya! Got a dog laying on my feet under my desk and my car is staying nice and dry in the garage.  Now........if I could just figure out a way to not have to dry off wet dogs all day.

5 comments:

  1. I Feel your pain. I used to live in Chicago and commute out to the suburbs for work. The drive home was a minimum of 50 min with regular traffic. I lasted 7 months at that apartment before I moved. I couldn't take the stress of the long commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so bad the past 6 months or so. My company has plans to move the office farther south (where majority of employees live) but our lease doesn't run out for 3 more years so it's going to be awhile. Fortunately for me I have "special" hours and only have to go into the actual office to work 2-3 days a week, otherwise if I had to be there from 8am to 5pm every day I never would have taken the job. I just live too far away and couldn't do 3-4 hours commute everyday in rush hours. The managers are seriously looking into 4-10's and having people work from home one day a week to help with the commutes.

      Delete
  2. There are folks here who willingly commute 3+ hours to NYC on a regular basis. I think they are crazy b/c no amount of bigger paycheck$ are worth that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best commute days are when the weather is overcast. If its too sunny people can't see so slow down. Rain and snow brings everything to a stop. I don't envy you at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?
    speeding ticket attorney raleigh

    ReplyDelete