Sunday, February 1, 2015

Finished blanket and other odds and ends

I finished the arm knitting blanket!

I had about 2 feet completed from last weekend......well....when I went to try and get it back on my arm I somehow got the end messed up and just ended up pulling it all out! But, I did not just give up and shove the yarn in a drawer (oh! It was tempting!). I started over and gave myself enough time to complete it in one sitting. It took me 3 hours. I would say that it took this long because the yarn is not near as chunky as the 45 minute video, so I had to make more rows going across to get the same width and I also wanted a 7 foot length compared to the 5ft length of the video blanket.  I'm surprised my cat didn't show up in this picture. I had to shoo him away like 3 times while trying to get this set up to take the photo. He wanted to jump up on it as soon as I put in on the chair.

Here it is on the foot of my bed ~
I made one goof with a stitch about midway through the blanket :(  But overall, I got the desired result. Since I've never knitted anything before, I think I did ok for a first try.  It took me 5 skeins of yarn doubled up. I don't know why I didn't buy 6 skeins! I had to double the last skein from each end, but it ended up the perfect amount of yarn.

I only spent $110 on groceries yesterday, so I also got this new tablecloth while at Walmart. It looks a lot better in person than in the picture. I don't really like it in the picture!
It was $13, it's kind of thin but I think I will get it's use out of it 

I also finally tackled the mounds of papers taking over my desk. Fortunately most of it ended up in the recycling pile or the shredding bag. I then got the house dusted and vacuumed, made lunch and sat down at 1pm to make the blanket. By then it was getting close to getting dinner started.

I've also been dealing with my normal annual end of January/beginning of February sinus problems. I usually have it a couple of weeks this time of year, for whatever reason. Sinus headaches, (though the headaches haven't been as bad this year) and a "fuzzy" feeling in my head, which has been worse this year. Makes it hard to concentrate. I'll be glad when it's passed.

I scored some gold stars with my boss on Friday, so that was good timing with my salary review coming up soon, LOL.  I really hope it will happen before the next payroll.....I am paid hourly so February's, with their short pay periods, suck! Basically I get shorted about 2 days of pay than all the other months. $500ish short hurts a bit. A raise to help offset the short pay period would help.

We aren't into football, so no Superbowl watching for us this afternoon/evening. I'll be glad when it's over - it's about all anyone is posting on Facebook - at least in my neck of the woods. It's also raining, which means wet dogs to dry off every time they go outside. Ugh. We keep a basket of drying towels near the door. They will get their use today, it appears.

Well, I am off to make a confetti cake, so we have something to snack on this week.  Enjoy your day!





6 comments:

  1. Your blanket looks wonderful! Do you plan to continue with your knitting experiments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If something crosses my path (or DD put in a request for one) for something I like, I'll give it another try. I really would like to try to learn to knit with needles. Might have to watch some videos and see if it's something I can learn that way.

      Delete
  2. The blanket looks awesome! I know how to knit and crochet but have no patience to spend all those hours needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I don't have a lot of patience either, but 3 hours into this blanket was in my patience range :)

      Delete
  3. I think the blanket and tablecloth are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete