Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Tuesday this and that

I had a chat (again) with my boss about the assistant and his awful performance last week (as well as even yesterday). She is just biding our time with him, due to this mentorship program. She said if it were any one else they'd have been fired long ago (and I know this to be true) but at this point she's just looking at this as our company's "contribution" to this non-profit mentorship program. I said that is a good way to look at it, otherwise it's too aggravating, LOL. He's supposed to work 7am to noon M-F. My guess is he clocks in at 7 and then goes back to bed for 2-3 hours and then starts working, because he does nothing the first 2-3 hours. Hopefully my sis will be over her family emergency soon and be able to get started. I haven't heard any more from her since yesterday morning, so I don't know if they figured out a plan to help her stepdad going forward. I didn't want to text her again, because while I'm just asking as her sis - I didn't want her to feel like I was asking because I want her to get started working.

We're going to be grumpy for 2 weeks...4 weeks....however long Mr & Mrs DIL and grandkids will be staying for this summer. Dang - now I'm wishing the heat was going to stay at 100, LOL. That would have kept them inside and not outside screaming or hanging out in front of our gate. I'm sure by this point they've gotten another barking/annoying dog to bring with them.

DH was up early this morning, in order to get outside before it's 100 degrees again, and clean out the gutters. It didn't take him too long, they weren't that bad, but he likes to keep up on it. Pine needles abound around here, LOL.

I did just hear from my sis on her stepdad. Poor man! They got him back to the hospital they had first taken him too (apparently not the small one in his town) and they did a CT scan and turns out, after then sitting in a wheel chair for 9 hours to get the results, he had broken his pelvis in like 4 places. It's too damaged to be able to operate, so then he was transported back to the hospital in his town where he will be while he recovers. Sis said she will be back home this evening and wants to start our work training tomorrow, unless something happens before then. Then she just plans to go see him again on the weekend. I can't imagine the pain he must have been in until they figured this out. I told her don't rush getting started on my account, I'm sure she's going to be exhausted over this.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 





7 comments:

  1. What a horror for the poor man. I feel for him. So often, an injury like this in an elderly person is pretty much the end for the person. I am so sorry for him.
    I think your boss misunderstands what a mentorship is supposed to be.
    Get a dog whistle to blow every time there is any barking at all. Yes, that will be annoying to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She understands what a mentorship is supposed to be, she's just making the best of a bad situation, unfortunately. I doubt the whistle will stop the dogs from barking and the barking happens when they all leave for hours and leave the dogs to bark all day, so they won't be here to hear any of it.

      Delete
    2. no, do a dog whistle at the dogs to shut them up (not a regular whistle for the people haha)....we have a bark collar for our dog that just does a beep with a remote...wonder if you could get one of those, hide it near where they leave to dogs out and beep the dogs from your house/yard when they are gone. it stops our dog from barking...maybe would help with these?

      Delete
    3. oh gotcha! they have bark collars for the dogs - they just don't bother to use them unless we complain about the dogs barking. Hopefully the family does not have a new dog to deal with, at least that would be one less thing with them

      Delete
  2. Aw man, your poor sis. And poor stepdad. I do hope the care in hospital will be better. She can hopefully get some rest now and focus on the training - I see big things in her future! As for your assistant, "non profit" sounds about right. I cannot believe he is getting away with this - I wish your boss could come clean to the program or whatnot about his lack of work ethic or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her goal/plan is once she lets him go this fall (when he's back to school) is to then just likely be done with any involvement with the program, as far as hiring from there goes. It's kind of a fine line, as he was already done with his mentorship (not through us), we just hired him as a recommendation of his going thru the program from the ones that run it, so they really don't have any say now, in his performance, so she doesn't feel like it's their responsibility, yet at the same time, there is still the relationship our company has with the program/people running it. It's hard to explain.

      Delete
    2. I totally understand but now he has ruined the chances for other folks who could have gained so much from the program and your company working together, you know? BUT if that is who he is aftermentorship, maybe the program isn't that great either. I just think it is a shame your boss cannot tell them, he has zero work ethic and gives the program a really bad name :/

      Delete