Thursday, December 5, 2019

Plugging along

I've heard back from 2 of the 3 independent/assisted/memory care living places in DD's area I emailed for more info and pricing on a 1 bedroom for their levels of care. Of course, no one wants to actually give me pricing, they just want to say "here's our brochure, let's set up a tour". I then emailed back I live out of state, so I'm not sure when I'll be over there and available to take a tour yet. At this point and time I am just trying to gather information and pricing. One did email me back that a 1 bedroom independent living is $3150/mo ($500/mo cheaper than mom is currently paying) and having something like medication assistance would add a couple hundred more. The place here, near me, that I emailed was over $4000 for a 1 bedroom independent living and assisted is $5000/mo but he also suggested if it's just medication assistance using an outside service might also be an option, too, while staying in independent living. None of these places I have looked into, seem to have a washer and dryer in the apartments, as her current place does. They have coin op laundry area to use. Both of the places that have emailed me back with pricing did also say that the independent living includes transportation to dr appts. I'm pretty sure the place she lives in now does not do that.

The mid 40's weather this week has melted most of the snow we had. Then neighbor's 3 dogs have been fine, while they are gone. No barking. Originally they were going to leave the new dog at home and take one of the other dogs with them (because these 2 fight) but I guess after realizing the new dog is barking when they are not home, they decided to board him and just leave the other dog at home with the other 2. Other than them looking sad and lonely, wondering where their humans are, they are doing fine.

I'm trying to get back into MTurks after a bad 2 weeks. Monday I did $8, Tues $15 and yesterday $13. Not great, but I guess this is a slow time of year for earning money with it.

I'm working on getting my Walmart grocery pick up order ready and in my cart (for tomorrow afternoon). Almost every single 2 week order I have done ends up right around $200. I feel like there is a lot of stuff I didn't have to add to this order (because we've been eating lighter dinners, so I still have some things leftover in my freezer) but it's at $240! I can't figure out what is so different. I pretty I even have less soda and water, since we stocked up some on our trip just before Thanksgiving, to get the turkey.

DH stepped down from being the website admin (he'd done it for about 7 years) for the kids racing club we belonged to --- 6 months ago. He emailed the club pres, secretary and another board member. Told them the hosting was paid up through October and the domain was paid through Feb 2020. Let him know who to pass on the login/passwords to. No reply from any of them whatsoever. Until last night. The outgoing club pres finally emails "sorry for the delay in reply, I've been busy with personal stuff, please email us the account logins/passwords". Ok, LOL. DH replied with the info. Said the hosting expired in October, as he said it would, and is no longer even accessible with that log in (website hasn't even worked since October). People are just worthless. That is why we got tired of volunteering for stuff....because we'd do what we said we were going to do and when it needed to be done, while everyone else just waited for us to do it. The racing club left the sanctioning body it belonged to a few months ago, anyway, so we aren't even joining the club anymore. Between the web hosting and web domain (that we were paying for) and the club dues, I'm going to save over $300 a year. Works for me.

8 comments:

  1. It's good that you are getting all the necessary info about assisted living, now, before it is actually needed. Glad the neighbor's dogs aren't barking. $200-240 every 2 weeks for 2 people for groceries doesn't sound too bad. Does it include household items (laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc.) and pet food, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesn't include dog food, because I order that shipped once a month from Chewy.com. I spend about $50/mo for that, which is a big bag of their food and a box of milk bones. I'm ok with what we spend (I try to keep it at $500 a month) but just curious what is so different in my list that it's an extra $40 LOL.

      Delete
  2. Probably because you aren't actually doing "hands on" shopping you are not cutting back on what you actually purchase. When I am shopping, I usually look at some items that I don't actually make it to the checkout with. Penny S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for commenting. Actually, doing the online ordering/grocery pick up has been helpful in keeping the budget down, for me. As I add items to my online cart it keeps a running total so I can see exactly how much I'm going to spend. I'm then able to adjust quantities or remove items if I want to keep it down lower. With shopping inside the store, I never know until I get through the checkout how much I will be spending and especially if DH is with me and he'll add stuff that I didn't have on my list. For some reason all my trips the past few months (every 2 weeks approx) have been right around $200. I felt like I was buying less stuff this trip but it's higher and I still haven't quite figured out why. Prices seem pretty mucht the same, but maybe they went up a bit and it adds up.

      Delete
  3. I find it very sad that so many people just don't bother any more - referring to the web hosting business your husband was doing. It seems like it's just so easy to expect other people to do it - and then things no longer get done. When I worked in HR we were very efficient, people got their contracts the day the started (not allowed to give them before), plus, plus, plus. As time has gone on after we had a psycho HR director take over, everything became "somebody else's responsibility" and that good reputation we had went straight out the window along with efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. people dropping the ball and being inefficient drives me nuts. Even if you are volunteering for something, to me it's still just as important.

      Delete
  4. I have know too many people that are lax about their business and the business of places they have volunteered. It makes it hard on everyone. I wonder if anyone has tried to access that website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it looks like they(ie our son) got it up and running again yesterday. I got a notification email from the hosting company that the email contact had been changed and the account re-activated and see the website is working again now. The club is lucky in that he is so knowledgeable about how to do all that.

      Delete