Saturday, December 28, 2019

A little post Christmas chat

I hopped online yesterday in search of a 12 foot artificial Christmas tree on clearance. The one I had seen at Lowe's was half off at $349, but they were out of stock. I found a very similar one (it has more lights than Lowe's tree) online with Home Depot and it was $274 (half off) so I ordered it. I doubt I'd find a decent looking full (not the skinny kind) 12 foot pre-lit tree for less than that. It was $55 to ship or free to ship to store, so we will just make a trip to the city and pick up at the store, rather than pay that shipping cost.

Now, I need to get focused back on MTurks earnings. The last 2 months have been abysmal, after earning $454 in October. I've only done $70 this month and $142 last month. I don't think there are as many surveys (most are from universities) during this time of year, so I'm hoping it will pick back up after the first of the year. I've been trying to find hits while I've been sitting at my computer the past hour or so and only have done $1.50.

One of DD and SIL's friends made them such a neat Christmas gift. He's a graphic artist and made them cartoon like prints of each of their 3 pets. They are so cute and look just like them. I think I'm going to have him make me one for our 2 dogs. They would look cute on the wall above the dog wash. I am going to "commission" him to make me two, haha.

Here is another of the gifts DH got me. Another vintage wood duck decoy. I had seen it at the antique store when we were looking around, but didn't buy it since we bought the old phone. Now I have 2 cute old ducks.
These are a couple of the things I got from my mom's house, that she couldn't take to her new apartment. DD had been storing for me, until they could bring them over.
 
The table originally belonged to my grandparents and then mom got it when my grandma passed. I doubt it will stay in this corner of my dining room, as I am still searching for a reasonably priced old farmhouse hutch to go on that wall, but for now, it really helps fill that empty space.

The fake tree goes well next to the staircase, I think. Again, something to fill the space a bit and add a bit of color. Those darn trees are expensive to buy, so I'm grateful to get this one.

And one more picture. I also got this painting and old table from my mom (originally belonged to my step dad's parents). I put it up in my office and set my new old "check writer" on it for display.

Not much happening this weekend. Yesterday I washed the bedding on one of the guest beds and remade it. Today I'll do the other one.  My boss worked yesterday and had to text me with a question and apologized. I was like no problem! It was a 5 minute time out of my day and then since I was online I saw she had approved some employee expenses, so I got those set up to pay out, so they didn't have to wait until I get back next Thursday. Easy peasy.

For quick easy reads, I've just been reading some Christmas stories, similar to the Hallmark channel movies, LOL. Last night I switched genres and went back to science fiction. I have a bunch of various books on hold, that I am waiting my turn on, so trying to fill the gap until one of them becomes available. Thank god for e-readers (I use my ipad mini) and ebooks through the library! Basically a never ending supply of books to read.

Well, DH is up and about now. Now that I've finished my coffee and this post it's time for me to go downstairs and get myself some breakfast.



14 comments:

  1. I had a 7.5 foot tree in my kitchen. I watched a guy make many of those. I will think of the kind of tree trunk he used. But, he put one or several in a pot of concrete. Then, he used these branches you can buy at large suppliers of silk trees. He used a drill, dipped the branch in the hot glue, and stuck the glued branch in the hole he drilled. He then put a bit of moss into the glue while it was still warm and soft. Mine was selling for about $175. His mil owned a shop next to his. I sewed for the shop and made earrings. Then, she bartered with him for the tree. It all worked out. I am quite sure you can manage to do the same kind of work.

    Well, you and your husband. You can even work from the stars to do the top part of the tree. I miss that tree! It looked so pretty with tiny lights, led type I guess, all year long.

    I put pumpkins on at Halloween, Santa at Christmas, flamingos and different things during the year. Rather that take the strings off, I just pulled the pumpkins off the light and put on a Santa face.

    I think if I ever made one, I would not use hot glue or even the cool glue gun. There are so many glues that you could dip the ends of the branches into to achieve the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid making a 12 foot tree is a little out of my expertise, LOL, but it would be fun to try a making a little table top sized tree.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, your staircase is SO pretty! Just beautitul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy with our 25 year old easy to put up tree. When we go smaller house, I think I'd like a prelit table top tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fake tree my mom used for years and then passed on to me and I used for years and years until it finally gave up. Then I used my $10 white tree from Walmart clearance for about 8 years, LOL. I'm hoping this new 12ft tree will last us for many many years.

      Delete
  4. Those prelit Christmas trees are expensive! You did well to get yours at that price on sale. Especially since you'll be saving on the delivery charges. I like those small tables you got from your mom. They look like they might be antiques. And that tree fits in so nicely with your stairs. Your new house is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I think the table are antiques. They've been around a long time.

      Delete
  5. Live the tables. Mturk will be slow thru jan cause most colleges return around dthe fifteenth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the MTurks info. I'm hoping it will pick back up after that.

      Delete
  6. I got my sister a ladder for Christmas from Lowes. I had thought it would be a good idea to just have it shipped directly to her house. The 79 dollar delivery fee altered my thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. their delivery fees from store to home is crazy high. Makes me wonder how many people actually pay for it.

      Delete
  7. I love the duck decoys. They are so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Some are so expensive, like $200 or more. The one's I find/like are like $20-25 LOL.

      Delete