Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Grocery shopping and meal planning

I went grocery shopping on Sunday morning - hopefully I planned well enough that I got enough to get us through this week. I spent $66, which is pretty low, but I had kind of stocked up the week before. That total included using a store coupon from the weekly flier for .79 tuna (limit 3). I also wanted to get the .79 tomato soup on coupon, but they were sold out. I also bought 3 donuts from the bakery case. They have the biggest, freshest donuts. Usually they are sold out whenever I am shopping there, but they had 2 maple bars (DH's fav) left and I got a chocolate covered bar for myself. As I was checking out there were 3 little Girl Scouts tucked in the corner of the store next to where I was checking out. I asked how much per box ($4, unless I wanted the S'mores -they were $5...because they have more ingredients, I was told by one cute girl). I got $10 cash back from my grocery payment and bought 2 boxes for $8. I usually never buy these cookies, but hey - it's small town and gotta support those kiddo's...and who doesn't like Girl Scout cookies? In the past, usually someone brought boxes into the office, so I'd get my fix that way.

I also splurged and bought myself a half gallon of organic milk. I love the creamier taste of it, so will have some in between drinking regular (ie cheaper) milk. That $66 total also included a 12 pack of Mtn Dew. I hate paying their $6 price (I have never seen it on sale at this store, ever), but we are down to less than 2 packs (from our big stock up from Walmart last month) and I wanted to make sure we didn't run out and I'd have to make another trip to the store this week. Mtn. Dew is like DH's coffee. He drinks 2-3 cans a day (ugh!). I have a half work day this coming Friday, so I think I will make a city trip and stock up on pop, water, steaks and chicken breasts. I just do not like the steaks and chicken we have tried at the town grocery store. Too thick.

The dinner plans for the week are:

Last night: Bertolli chicken and red potato marsala skillet meal. DH loves this meal and it's easy to make. I'll add some crescent rolls and some applesauce.
the rest of the week:
Meatloaf
Lasagna casserole
Eggs and bacon
Tuna Casserole - (I can freeze half for another time)

I get so tired of trying to plan dinners. I'd probably love those fresh pre-made meal kits they have now via various mail order companies, but no way would I pay the cost of them. I saw some crockpot meals advertised on Omaha Steaks and they were like $20 per meal. Ridiculous.

8 comments:

  1. Cooking is one of my least favorite things to do, so I understand where you are coming from! Does your store offer rain checks for items they are out of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have asked if they do rain checks. Didn't even think of that. They probably do.

      Delete
  2. I don't seem to have the issue you do around meal planning but having said that, I do burn out about doing that now and again.
    That's where blogging my weekly menus helps.....I can just look back at past Monday meal planning posts and glean a few dishes out of there.

    I think all those home meal serves are ridiculously expensive. We did Schwann's for awhile we our kids were younger(mostly for the good ice cream flavors they had). lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a Schwan's truck around town. Never tried them. It's not the planning so much I hate, but the actual making of it all LOL.

      Delete
  3. I love cooking so I don't have that issue but I do work too late sometimes to cook so DH has to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's not so much the cooking, but deciding what to make & then getting all the ingredients -- what a pain. I have started to use my crockpot much more often - so easy. Check out www.allrecipes for lots of great/reviewed recipes. I also do the frozen chicken/veggie/pasta meals in a bag - easy & inexpensive when in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to take some time to find some new/easy recipes. I just haven't done it yet.

      Delete