Saturday, May 30, 2015

Grocery shopping and meal planning

I am really trying my best to shop for 2 weeks at a time. I am so terrible at it! Maybe it's just because we live a mile from grocery stores, so it's really no big deal if I forget something or don't plan too well. I suppose I'd be really good at it, if we lived out in the country and grocery shopping wasn't very convenient.

I got my dinner meals all planned out:
Friday -  was Fried Chicken from the store deli
Saturday - BBQ steak
Sunday - BBQ burgers (and I'll throw on some chicken to learn how to grill it)
Monday - Take out
Tuesday - Chili dogs and corn bread
Wed - Chicken Sandwich ring
Thurs - take out
Fri - Tacos
Saturday - Streak
Sunday - Fish (not something I usually buy very often, but trying for some variety here. Might trying grilling if weather is ok)
Monday - Take out
Tuesday - Eggs and Bacon (love me breakfast for dinner)
Wed - Chicken with rice and veggies casserole
Thurs - take out

Desserts/snacks during the 2 week period will be strawberry shortcake, brownies and strawberry ice cream (my next attempt at homemade ice cream with my new attachment). Breakfast for me is usually coffee and then some instant breakfast. The days I am home when DH gets up I make him an egg sandwich on english muffin. If I'm not home he makes himself toast. Work lunches I usually take some leftovers or soup at hand. When I'm at home I don't really eat lunch. I just kind of snack on whatever sounds good, but there will be leftover fried chicken, so I know I will eat that up for lunch over the weekend. DH has lunch meat and cheese on 9 grain bread for lunch, with chips and a pop.

I'm trying to think of everything we will need over the next 2 weeks. I will have to stop in next week for a few fresh things, especially the fish. I like to get that close to when I am baking it.

I really need to get better about freezing leftover stuff too. When DD was home last weekend we both wanted french toast on the thick bread. It was a huge loaf of bread that we used a whole 4 slices out of. I had some for dinner last night for myself (dh has his Thursday night burger and fries) and put the rest of the loaf in the freezer.  We will also most likely need dog food during the 2nd week and that is part of my $400 food/misc bi-monthly budget.  With the take out meals and the trip I will have next week for some fresh items, I need to keep this shopping trip for two weeks under $290.  Update to come later to see how I did!

2 comments:

  1. I grocery shop weekly as everything is so convenient...too convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way ... I work right next to Target & Walmart, & they are building a Costco right across the street. Needless to say I run to the store a few times a week ... the "shopping for 2 weeks" has never worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete