Monday, April 4, 2022

Well, it's definitely Monday

Thanks to commenter Julie for pointing out that putting my dh on my work health insurance will probably end up saving me starting next year, as the temporary ACA subsidy he is getting right now will most likely end this year. That pretty much makes it a no brainer decision for me to add dh for the $90 more a month it will cost me. Then come 2022, having him on my work insurance plan will probably save me $90 a month - or more. This is one of the things that make me glad I blog - I learn things or am reminded about things I might not have known!

Last grocery order I ordered a couple of grapefruits. Now I need a grapefruit knife, LOL. I had one for breakfast, as well as a half a banana left from the day before, but it sure didn't keep my stomach full too long. I think I'll have to add a piece of toast to that breakfast.

In other thoughts rolling around in my head - can someone explain to me the logic behind a commercial I saw on tv the other night? A dishwasher tabs commercial saying your dishwasher only uses a little old 4 gallons of water per wash cycle, so go ahead and run your dishwasher every night! Why?? why would I run my dishwasher every night for a few glasses, 2 plates, a little bit of silverware? Why not just wait until it's full (or at least fuller) to run it? The only thing I can come up with is so I'll use a d/w tab every day instead of every 2-3 days. Stupid.

OMG, I feel dumb, LOL. This weekend I wanted to place my order with Walmart for shipping the case of canned chicken that was a good deal cheaper than buying in store. I was thinking 2 cases, but only put in one. Then of course I needed more to get to $35 and literally spent all weekend trying to figure out what to add! I added a couple things and then I was short about $2. Yesterday I even perused my pantry again for something I might need. Still came up with nothing. Part of the reason I waited to do the order this weekend, instead of last Wednesday is because Walmart usually ships out fast and usually ships FedEx and for some reason about 90% of whatever gets shipped here FedEx ends up coming on the weekend. They deliver both Sat and Sun out here and the weekend driver(s) are dumb, LOL. So, I wanted to try to have it delivered during the week. So, I get back online this morning to finally get this order placed once and for all and then it suddenly dawns on me - wait a minute! I wanted 2 cases - 2 cases is almost $40 - that's all I need to order! Done. Two cases supposed to be here on Thursday. 

We watched a few movies this weekend. Ok...Tom Hanks Greyhound was just awful! We watched the whole thing and thank God it was only 90 minutes. It was 90 minutes of the sailors who were working down in the part where they navigate and sonar, etc, calling up coordinates to a sailor up top, who would then repeat the same exact thing to the captain. Seems like they could have done much better with this good storyline. While I generally like war movies, this was not one of them. 

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the death of our sweet yellow lab. He loved birds (all birds except black crows or ravens, LOL). Geese were one of his favorites. We always called them "honkers". When he was younger his favorite toy was a Canadian goose we called Honkers. He would destroy them to get the squeaker out. If he heard them outside he'd bark. We often see the geese either flying over the river or down on the river. Have never seen them in our yard. Until last evening. Two spent about an hour walking around our back yard eating stuff out of the grass. Then they both decided to sit and relax for awhile. When it got dark they started honking and took off. DD decided it was a sign from our sweet old pup.

My mom and her meds is a continuing issue - I'll write about it on that blog, but picture me sitting here banging my head on my desk....

12 comments:

  1. The only thing I can come up with is so I'll use a d/w tab every day instead of every 2-3 days. YES! It's a commercial, it is written to make people use more of the product it is selling.
    FYI, my contractor told me that dishwasher tabs are not great for a septic system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that advertising works on some, haha.I can't imagine people saying to themselves "oh, it's only 4 gallons, so lets do it every night and use 2-3 times the tabs! And when I was paying for water by the gallon..whether it was just 4 gallons or not, I'd make sure my d/w was full to run it.

      Delete
  2. We had geese in out yard last nite too. They didn't seem to care that they were driving the dogs and my domestic geese crazy. They just made themselves at home for quite a while.
    That dw soap commercial drives me crazy definitely a "sell not tell" thing. One of my kids came home from 4th grade and had learned commercials were trying to sell you something, not educate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of neat to see the geese hang out like that. That's cute about learning commercials aren't educating :)

      Delete
  3. My children wanted cereals and such with the exciting toy. My children were so cynical by the time they were 4 and 6. They would come alert me there was a new commercial selling cereal with a toy that was larger than actual and would tear up. Sometimes, I felt awful about how they were so wary. But, they made good grown-up consumers. People thought it was cute and funny how my son slammed cereal in the grocery store. They also never had cereal with sugar. That was harder for me to enforce.

    We saw that dishwasher tab commercial about 15 minutes before I read this. It made the elderly people look foolish as they smiled big smiles over washing dishes. We run the dishwasher when it needs to be run. When I had children at home, running the dishwasher twice a day was normal, not now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't let my kids have much sugar cereal either. Mostly they had Cheerios and Kix. They didn't get to drink soda either, if it had caffeine it it. DD was so cute when she was little. We'd be at a relatives or friends and they'd offer one and she'd be like 3 years old saying "does it have caf-a-neen in it?" She didn't even know what it was, just that I would always say no caffeine. haha. To this day she still doesn't drink soda. Maybe root beer once in a blue moon.

      Delete
    2. We rarely let our kids stay overnight with his parents. One time the other grandkids were staying all night there and that evening she let them drink a bunch of iced tea. They were literally all bouncing off the walls and she couldn't figure out why. Ummm...you just gave a bunch of 3-7 year olds a bunch of caffeine!

      Delete
    3. This past Halloween my daughters and grandkids and I went to a Zoo Boo, smaller town zoo had businesses pass out Halloween treats all along the zoo’s sidewalks. (Paid to get in, for a charity fundraiser). Was about 7 when we were going through (hundreds of people) and one insurance agencies table their treat handed out was a can of Coke or Diet Coke! We passed by but what were they thinking (or not ha!)

      Delete
    4. That is a really odd Halloween treat!

      Delete
  4. I believe the geese were a sign. For sure!
    I only run my dishwasher when it's full or close. Every few days. That's a stupid commercial. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a really stupid commercial and gosh, I don't think most people are as stupid as they seem to think we must be.

      Delete
  5. I think the geese were a Godwink. Comforting, especially after losing a loved one ~ even the fury kind. Check out the link, you'll likely have a new movie to watch later this year! https://godwinks.com/pages/the-godwinks-story

    We don't have "regular TV" so no commercials for us. I agree that it sounds like a sales pitch.

    ReplyDelete