Saturday, April 30, 2022

Gift card, birthday and weekend plans

Unrelated to me asking for a raise, UPS shows up later afternoon yesterday with something for me from my boss. It was a little box with a $100 Amazon gift card and a nice card appreciating me. Oh gosh, LOL. Well, I thanked her very much.....but still glad I asked for a raise. (the gift card was sent out before I asked).  And honestly, probably the only real reason she sent me one is because the week before, when I was posting our company American Express bill and figuring out what charges get assigned to what category there was this charge for over $2000 to Amazon that I had no receipt for, so I asked her what it's for. Something that large could have been a fixed asset and not an office supplies expense. She said it was for some gift cards they ordered to have on hand to give out to customers and employees as appreciation. So, me knowing what they are for is probably why she then thought she should send me one, haha. (though I certainly didn't expect one).

Monday is mom's 81st birthday. The other day she asked me if any birthdays are coming up and as I started to say "well, yours is" she said well, other than mine. I'm thinking good - she remembers her birthday is soon. Then she says what am I going to be? late 90's? No haha, only 81! I think later today I'll make a batch up cupcakes for her birthday and run a dozen into her tomorrow afternoon and surprise her.

I'm so confused by this order we placed a couple of weeks ago. It was a bunch of car wash supplies dh wanted. It was a big order and they showed shipping it out in 3 tracking#'s. Two of the packages showed up last weekend and the 3rd (per Fedex updates) showed it was damaged and it transit back to the shipper, which they got back earlier this week. Dh and I went through what we ordered and what arrived so we'd know what was still needing to ship to us. About 3 or 4 items. Then yesterday afternoon I get a shipping confirmation email from the company and it shows 3 new tracking #'s and then says "items shipped on 4/29" and lists the whole order again! Did they accidentally just ship out his whole order again? I guess we'll see when it all gets here!

Do any of you have a food dehydrator and if so what things do you use it for? and what type of containers do you store the dehydrated food in?

Weather report shows mostly chance of rain today, so I guess dh won't be doing his first mow of the season yet. The lawn is ready to mow, but we've just been getting some rain almost every day. Maybe tomorrow, it's looking better.

8 comments:

  1. I have an Excalibur nine-tray dehydrator. I have dried bananas, all sorts of fruit, vegetables--carrots, celery, and other things. I would buy Vidalia onions when they were really cheap, chop them, dehydrate the onions. Then, I put them in a pint jar and could just shake a few onions out for whatever I was cooking. I really loved that, so easy to cook with them. Same with celery. Storing in pint jars helps to not have a large amount mold if moisture were still present. Never store items in light. I think Ball jars are the best storage since absolutely no air can get in, unlike with plastic bags.

    Well, that is more than you asked...lol.

    That is amazing your mother knows when her birthday is but not her age. She is five years older than I.

    Amazon has sent me things twice. One item I received once and wanted to return it. It turns out they say I was never charged.

    Have fun with the gc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is great info on what you use your dehydrator for and how you store the food.Thank you.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what brand mine is but I use it for herbs I've grown in my garden, bananas, strawberries, & apple slices. I'd like to do onions, celery, and many other things too.

      Delete
    3. Anon - thanks for the reply - what do you store the dehydrated food in?

      Delete
  2. I love to watch Homesteading Family on YouTube. They preserve food a lot of different ways and they talk about dehydrating quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check that out. Not sure if I really want to buy one, but want to look into it more. I probably need another kitchen gadget like I need a hole in my head ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh your mother really makes me smile! I do sometimes feel like I'm in my late 90s.
    I've never dehydrated food here; sounds interesting - not sure its a thing in the UK.
    Comments keep calling me Anonymous so I'll sign this within the comment! Anne Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a blog that I read where she just tried an experiment on dehydrating eggs. She blended 6 eggs and poured it into the dehydrater. After dehydrating, she put the dried egg in a small grinder to turn it into powder. She then took one tablespoon of the powdered egg and one tablespoon of water and mixed them together which equals one egg. She scrambled the mixture and was very surprised that the taste was very close to a fresh egg. 36 fresh eggs became 2 pints of egg powder. She does a lot of canning and dehydrating. I have learned quite a bit from her blog.

    ReplyDelete