Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I hate it when I do this!

So, I have a missing check I apparently wrote sometime in the past week and didn't write it down. I have racked my brain since last night and just can not figure it out! I hardly even write very many checks any more, you'd think I'd remember.  I know I'm operating on a bit of sleep deprivation this past week (thanks to new puppy) but boy, this one has me stumped.  I recall the last check I wrote was 9/10 and when I went to tear it out I also tore out the check below it, so that check has been "loose" in my checkbook on top of the other checks.  Then when I got paid on Friday I used that check (that's even the number I wrote on my copy of the doctor bill) to pay a doctor bill.  Last night I went to write a check to leave with DH to pay when the ant spray guy comes and it's the next check number after it should be. I looked over my list of bills I wrote out last week that were due to see if there was something I just forgot, but everything else was paid online or using my debit card. I never write checks at stores. I don't remember voiding the check when I wrote out the doctor check.  I'm going to be trying to figure this out all day...GRRRR!  Guess I'll just be watching my bank to see what it is when it clears. I need more sleep.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh!! Hate that too! Hope you figure it all out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree UGH! I hate when that happens. Hope you find out soon...last time I did it it turned out to be for meds I picked up

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a bad feeling too. I don't use checks often either, so when I forget a small detail like that, it drives me NUTS! My head goes over and over the last few days trying to find what the transaction was, and it just doesnt work! Hope you find the check soon if you didnt use it, or that it posts soon (but doesnt hit you for more than what you have!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your post title and I knew this wouldn't be good.lol
    As long as you have enough in the account to cover it don't stress out too much. You'll find out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have enough to cover whatever it might have been, thankfully.

      Delete
  5. Hey, you're still far more organized than I am. I'm so bad about keeping track of checks, I just try to never write them.

    Any bills that I can pay online get paid online. I tell myself it's to save on stamps. (And to be fair, I didn't have the patience to do the seven or so bills that came due at once, which meant over $3 in stamps I could have saved.) But honestly it's also just that I'm paranoid I'll forget about an uncashed check and it'll throw our finances out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a main reason I rarely write checks anymore either. I like paying online and seeing it come right out of my checking account and I like being able to go see my checking balance online at any time. I don't miss those old days of just checks and waiting for your statement and cancelled checks to come in the mail.

      Delete