Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March so far

I thought I'd do a financial check-up on Mint to see how I'm doing so far with March.  9 days left until I get paid again on the 30th.  It's not looking to promising to be able to put much into savings, if any at all.  I have $363 left until I get paid again. I have grocery shopping to do at the end of this week, and it's a "2-week" shopping trip, so the total will probably be at least $175.  Dd will probably need gas in her car before the end of the month (though she has done well and her last tank has lasted her a month).

It does look like my food/household supplies and take out food will be lower, finally.  January's totals were $1184 for all combined and February was $1095.  March, I am estimating to be $950 - so at least I am seeing some progress in that area. Take out total is currently sitting at $107, with about $16 more in the budget to spend and last month I spent $238. Almost a 50% reduction in this category is awesome.

We've spent $87 in home repair stuff and $147 on a air compressor hose reel Dh wanted. He is sending it back though, as the quality was crap, but I'm sure he'll be finding a replacement to use the money on, once we get credited.  Tracking my spending with Mint now has really opened my eyes to the fact that my small, if oftentimes non-existent, monthly budget amount for home repairs/improvement really needs to be higher.

I had a few non-monthly items this month. $67 in car registration for Dd's car and $64 for her tennis team clothes. Last night I had to give her a check for $87 so she can take her AP test and get college credit for the class.  Considering gas is over $4 a gallon, we've done well to keep the trips to a minimum and so far I've only spent $174.

I might eke out $50 to put in savings this month, but probably not, as Dh starts seeing the chiropractor today and that is going to cost co-pays.  I knew savings was going to be slow going, now that the bonus and tax return months are past. The other day my mom offered if I wanted to reduce my car payment to her from $250 a month to $200, just to help with the rising gas costs.  As she always tells me, she is in no hurry to get paid back.  I might take her up on it, at least for the next few months, especially with more doctor bills coming soon. My budget should get a breather as the next months go on, with weather warming and electricity bills going down quite a bit. Last month was $325 (exactly what I budgeted) and the bill I just got (due with next paycheck) was down to $254.  It will keep going down through spring and summer, which will free up some money for the doctor bills.

I hate to wish time away, but a part of me does just want to get this month over with, since it's pretty much a savings failure and try again next month.  I wish I could figure out a way to add to savings more than once a month. I mentally need to feel like I am increasing savings more than once a month. It's a long time in between and then to have a month where I can't add anything makes it seem even longer until the end of April, when hopefully, I'll be able to add some again.

7 comments:

  1. It is so hard when you live on the edge. You are constantly looking forward so you can find more money or better yet pay something off. I am trying to live in the present. But debt and fuel costs make it hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful (yes, you reminded me!) that the only debt we have is our home and my car (currently owe $15650 to my mom) but I sure would like to be able to increase savings at a faster rate. I guess I should look at where we are now compared to a few years ago. At least we are not incurring any new debt and dealing with that vicious cycle of trying to pay off credit cards. I'm not just very patient when it comes to wanting to save more!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you.I can't wait for this month to be over! But you've done a great job in lots of categories in your budget.It's those unexpected things that usually eat up all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't beat yourself up. I felt this way about February...and it's a short month! It ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be as we lucked out on qualifying for a couple paid surveys to make it all work out in the end. Much luck for a more prosperous last week of March :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From reading your posts, it seems that you are waiting until the end of the month to see how much you have left over to put into savings. My husband is a truck driver and his pay fluctuates quite a bit, January and February were terrible! March is bad also, but only because he had his appendix removed while in Texas two weeks ago and will be out of work for another week - jeesh!!! Sometimes we feel like we just can't catch a break! For years I waited until the end of the month so see what we could save and never found any money left, if it was in the checking account and we "needed" something we got it. Last year I started an automatic savings transfer once a week and it has helped greatly. It's only $25 a week and I can get it if I really need it, but by taking it out automatically I find that I'm more careful with my spending (especially grocery shopping - I spend WAY too much there!) if it isn't in my checking account. And sometimes I do have to move some from savings but I feel that I'm being more proactive and I actually have been able to save more doing it this way. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anon - that is a good idea, that I should try on a small scale to start. I was afraid I'd just have to turn around and take it back out and then I'd feel like I failed, but putting some in every week would also give me the boost I need to feel like I am accomplishing my goal and probably not make the month seem so long until I can add to it again. I will try that! Hope your husband gets back to steady working soon.

      Delete
  5. Lots of expenses this month for you! Ouch! I do agree with Anon though... Every week I have $130 moved to 3 different savings accounts (EF, Freedome, & Xmas) then work what's left into our budget... since that's all there is, we have to stay within in. If we were to eat out, it comes out of our food budget or fun budget. It's all has to fit & balance out each week. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete