Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2012 Goal

I'm not really a New Year's resolution type person. I've tried that in the past and I never keep them. But I do have a goal I want to work toward and that is trying to get AND stay more organized. I am just not an organized person. I file in "piles" and while I know what all my piles are and what is in them (for the most part) it just doesn't look organized and makes me feel anxious. Weird part is at work, I have a pretty clean and organized desk. I do have a couple of piles, but nothing bad and it doesn't look messy (my boss is worse than me!), so why can't I do this at home?

Dd, on the other hand, is the queen of organizing! She obviously didn't get that from me - LOL. Her closet is organized, her school binders are organized, her life plans are organized. I want to grow up and be like her!

I've made some good progress over the past couple of years in most areas of my home. Eliminated a lot of clutter and things have their place and I can find them easily, though at times I tend to stray back to clutter, but I have stuck with it. I just can't seem to get my work area at home organized. I got a new desk last year with lots of cabinet and drawer space and it looked so pretty when I set it up. Now it's a big pile of MESS! I just keep adding to it and feel more overwhelmed to tackle it.

I guess I need to come up with a plan in order to reach this goal. I think I thought if I was able to get other areas in my home decluttered the work space would follow....but it hasn't. I HATE papers, but there are so much of them. Especially coupons and ads and then add in all the paperwork from my side job. One half of my desk is personal papers piled up and the other side is work paperwork (with my monitor in the middle). I just want to dump it all into a box, haha! But then I know I'll ignore what's in the box. Ugh. When I try to make small baby steps to organize it all, more stuff just gets added and I never seem to get anywhere. I guess I need to do more than baby steps..

Here's what my desk looked like when I first set it up. Plus, now I have one more overhead cabinet. As you might guess the overheads are now crammed with papers.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I do when I get to that point of being overwhelmed? Do put it all in a box. If you don't look at that box for 3 months, move it to the attic/garage/basement. If you do need it within that 3 month period, get what you need and similar paperwork (like receipts, contracts, bills) and put the rest back in the box. If you still don't need it after 6 months, get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanner - that method has always been my way too in the past. In fact, last night I was starting to sort through 3 boxes of exactly the same thing that are in my bedroom closet! Except that they are more like 3+ years old. I'm going to work on getting them down to one box.

    ReplyDelete