Thursday, September 15, 2022

good news bad news

Well, bummer news - the guy with the lots next to us emailed Mr and told him he will probably be out to his property on Friday starting to do some clearing. I guess they are at some point going to have to be our neighbors.

On good news, dd and her dh accepted the counteroffer on the property and are on their way to owning 5 acres and eventually building a house. We are so excited for them. Apparently SIL's parents, not as much, and had to put in their normal negativity and criticism. Like for example his dad thought the price was too steep...."so find out what they originally paid for the property".....dd was like what in the world difference does that make? They could have bought it in 1960 for $40k. Makes absolutely no difference in what the market is now. Like I told her in just 2 or so years properties and houses here were we live have doubled in price.

Unbeknownst to me, at the same time her dh was getting the negativity from his parents, I was messaging dd that I'm so happy and excited for them! Dh was sending dancing minions in our group chat. The next day she sent me a sweet message that if she hasn't told me lately, she is so lucky to have a mom who supports her and encourages her. Dh also gave them some good advice about the well and septic and what to look for/expect.

After returning that poor quality floor lamp to Target, that I had purchased with a $50 gift card, I ended up with a $50 gift card again. I decided to just purchase some household and pantry staples online to be delivered. A bit of a stock up. I was getting low on tissues. I usually always buy the square boxes because they don't take up as much room and in my bedroom I had a tissue holder that size. Well, in online shopping I realized there is a huge price difference between the square boxes and the long boxes! A four pack of square boxes, with 240 tissues is $6.19. A four pack of the long boxes with 480 tissues is $6.79. I bought the long boxes. I have a couple square boxes left and a couple in other rooms. I'll swap those out for the long boxes and save the square boxes for my bedroom holder. I never realized what a price difference that size was. I also buy a big box of Walmart kitchen garbage bags. Target up and up brand is much cheaper! .09 per bag, compared to Walmart's 16.5 per bag. I also checked Amazon and their brand is .12 per bag. So, I'll have to remember Target is where I want to get these from now on. I also purchased a 2 pack of 40oz jars of Jif peanut butter. We had a 2 pack that wasn't part of the recall, so that has lasted us a long time, but when I get to the last jar I like to order another 2 pack and Jif has not been available for a long time since the recall. Finally it is back in stores. I tried a small jar of Skippy to see if I like it - it's ok, but Jif is one of the few things I am brand loyal to. I also got a jar of grape jam and 3 boxes of blueberry muffin mix.

 

 

 




 
 

10 comments:

  1. May I make a suggestion to send to your DD, having built two homes on 5 acre lots? Get the well put in ASAP. They aren't going to get any less expensive. Also, if our county is any indication, well permits are going to be harder and harder to come by forcing potential builders to look for a water share. (Too many people putting straws in the milkshake. ("There Will be Blood" reference there.) If, for some reason, they opt not to build, and choose to sell the land, they can recoup the cost of the well in the asking price. Also, again, not sure where she is, but there are about 3 well companies (that you would want to use, that is) for about as many counties around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the shared well is already in, which they took into account for what they wanted to pay. The septic design has already been done/approved, too. They got the well report and had dh look it over, to make sure it was going to be good enough for 2 homes drawing on it, etc and in their consideration if they wanted to share a well with another homeowner. Dh said while he would NEVER ever be on a well like we were before (with 9 homes and one owned the well) he would do something like they are buying, with just sharing with one other homeowner.

      Delete
    2. There is already a home on the other 5 acres that was built in 2016, so the well was put in then.

      Delete
    3. GOOD! Well share/water share is about all that's going to be available soon. In fact, we had a potential neighbor ask us if we would be willing to allow a share on our well on our farm. (No, no, a thousand times no, no matter how much they were willing to pay to buy in.)

      Delete
  2. Congrats to your daughter and SIL on the 5 acre land! How exciting it must be for such a young couple. Kudos! I have noticed recently that we need to pay extra attention to the price per unit nowadays. Some companies are deliberately shrinking the package contents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. almost twice the number of tissues for same price. I'll go with the different box now!

      Delete
  3. You can open the long box of tissues and take out the whole wad of tissues and place them into the empty square tissue box. Just open the empty square box and tape the end closed after placing the tissues in it. That way you can still have the square box for your space issue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's funny - I was thinking the same exact thing to myself last night - just keep the square boxes and refill them!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your daughter & sil!
    Good for them. :) :)
    I like the square boxes also. Especially in the bedroom & bathroom. They are expensive. I use the flat boxes too, but I prefer the cubes.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try Dawn's suggestion above and refill the square boxes :)

      Delete