Friday, September 16, 2022

Brains, wildlife and visits

As my mom's brain sadly shrinks and gets smaller I can also just see her world getting smaller and smaller, as time goes by. If she is not at meals or activities (which, thank goodness, all that keeps her pretty busy) she is sitting in her recliner just looking over and over at her activity schedule. It's always printed in colorful ink on a very large piece of paper. She also will sometimes look at a couple of other papers she might pick up from their "information table", but most often, when I check in on her via the camera, if she is there, she is just sitting in her chair looking at the activity schedule. She looks at the schedule, looks over at her clock/calendar, looks at the schedule and just repeats over and over. She can often sit there for a half hour or more just doing that. Or she will set the schedule paper down on the table next to her and then instantly pick it up and start over again. It's sad. I haven't seen her turn her tv on in a couple of weeks, even, but finally she did watch some last evening after dinner. It's just that schedule over and over.

Thankfully she spends 3+ hours a day downstairs for the 3 meals, as well as an activity or two during the day, but if she is at her apartment (and not asleep in her recliner or not in bed for the night) she is sitting there looking at that schedule. It's like it's become her whole little world. Even when I was there visiting with her last weekend, she picked it up and started looking at it. At least I was able to divert her attention away from it and she was able to go back to visiting with me. When I will check in with her on the camera and she is there doing that,  it's like watching an obsession. But, I guess that is much better than her trying to find her purse or wallet or worrying about her money type of things, where she gets agitated.

This week has gone by fast and tomorrow night our friend arrives for her visit. She's going to have a long travel day tomorrow with an almost 3 hour layover in SLC. Her flight doesn't arrive until 11pm. I'm going to have to take a nap after dinner. LOL. Way past my bedtime, haha. The weather hasn't been very good this week, but so far it looks like it won't be too bad while she's here, but it changes all the time, so it is what it is.

I don't need too much from the grocery store, since we stocked up last Saturday, but I will run into town tomorrow and get a few things. Walmart shorted me lunch meat, so I need more of that. I need a donut, LOL. 

DH saw a small coyote run through our front yard yesterday around noon. The cat is just staying in awhile, whether he meows about it or not. Dh had been at the fence chatting with Mr about an hour or so before that and they had heard some coyote yipping coming from the other side of Mr's place.

Mrs flew out Tuesday to spend 2 weeks with son and his family....then Mr was supposed to drive son's vehicle (that's he's had for months now, because son wanted to borrow Mr.'s truck) over in 2 weeks to pick up Mrs and get his truck back. Now he's driving over there tomorrow to get Mrs. He didn't say why, just that "plans for more time there went belly up". I told dh I love my dd to bits, but I wouldn't want to stay 2 weeks away from my home at her house, LOL. I like my own routine and bed too much.

It was funny coincidence yesterday. It was almost the end of my work day. I had just been thinking of my uncle and that I hadn't talked with him in awhile. A few minutes later my phone rings and it's him. He said he accidentally dialed me, but then didn't want to hang up haha. I said I was literally just thinking of calling you to check in! So we chatted a quick minute and said goodbye. He doesn't really like to talk much on the phone either. Must run in the family haha.

10 comments:

  1. I like my own home and routine too. People have asked me why I don't go to Spain for a few months in the winter, but to be honest, if I have (had - pre-covid) two weeks away in February/March I'm always set to go again afterwards. I like my home comforts too much, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too much of a homebody. Just content to be home most of the time.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Sounds like your Mom is content. Not a bad thing at her age and having Alzheimer's disease. Every time she looks at the schedule paper, with her memory loss, to her it's probably like seeing it for the first time. That may be why it's so interesting to her. She's fortunate to have you looking after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right - the activity schedule is something new to her every time she looks at it, many times a day. She has no memory she already spent a half hour looking at it this morning after she got back from breakfast. I'm glad I have the cameras installed so I can get a glimpse of what her days are like. She's doing ok. Pretty much sleeps all night and has completely gotten used to having the caregivers pop in.

      Delete
  3. It seems like your mother is not suffering, so maybe obsession is not a bad thing. My grandmother evolved to a point of extreme discontent. But, that may have been just her and not a stage in her disease. If she can remain calm and content, that is a good thing to witness.
    Maybe you need to put an outdoor addition on for kitty where she can get back into the house and outside...lol. Coyotes and bears would like him for a snack.
    Is that 11 pm or 1 pm?
    I stayed at my daughter's house in NYC for over a month, but she had a newborn baby and I loved it. I was so exhausted when I got home and was so glad to see my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11pm, I fixed my typo :) I wish it was 1pm LOL. Mom does seem content for the most part and that is so good. I read so many hard things that people have to deal with their loved ones who have dementia. So many are extremely agitated all the time.

      Delete
  4. Does your mom have access to any magazines where she is? She might like looking through them, over & over.
    Pictures and all.
    The older I get the more I'd rather be in my own bed at the end of the day.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "library" area is right outside her apartment. Lots of books and magazines. I have tried to show/reminder her all the magazines are there and a couple of times have taken a couple of the magazines and put them on her side table. She only seems interested mostly in her activity schedule.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry about your mom. Does she seem content? If so, maybe that's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most of the time she seems very content, which is good. The only time she doesn't is if she thinks her purse or wallet got stolen and she's worried about her money or sometimes something seems to happen where one of the other residents says something to upset her, but those things don't happen to often.

      Delete