Thursday, September 29, 2022

A long trying day

It's been long day dealing with a program issue at work since first thing this morning. I talked to one of the IT guys at the end of the work day yesterday and then he was working on the issue most all of the day today. I think I talked to him on the phone at least 4 times. Finally it is resolved (with only 90 minutes left of my word day) and the program is working correctly for me again.

After work yesterday dh and I drove into the city to pick up a large order at Walmart. I plan to go see my mom on Sunday and will stop at pick up another large order. This should have us fairly well "extra" stocked up. We've gradually had what I've stocked up on eaten up and I haven't been really good this past couple of months of replacing. In fact, my last 2 shopping trips were smaller orders and just enough to eat in between trips, plus we've had guests almost 2 weeks of the past 4 and ate out a lot, so I didn't buy much food. It was time to get serious of having several months worth of food again, or at least 2 months worth for some food/supplies, more for others. I'm kind of tempted to maybe try doing a pick up order from Albertsons....I tried that one time a year or so ago, when they first started offering it, and like an hour or two before I was supposed to pick up the order they canceled it on me, saying they were short on staff. I'm wondering if it's better now. Might be worth a try with just a smaller type of order, that way if they cancel on me again, it won't be much of a big inconvenience.

Supposedly Pottery Barn has finally shipped the desk......but it's in the mysterious in between their distribution center and the final shipping carrier stage. I logged in yesterday and it said your order has arrived at the local carrier and ready to schedule a delivery appointment. I called PB and they connected me to the local carrier, who says no, they have not received it yet (shipped like 3 weeks ago now). If this thing ever shows up I'll be amazed. It's only been 6 months now.

Walmart ended up substituting me white bread for the wheat bread and I guess they don't let you decline substitutions when they bring the groceries out anymore. Or at least that's what the kid told me, he said I'd have to go inside to customer service. It used to be every time I ordered it saved my preferences for no subs, but I guess it's not doing that anymore either.  So, I guess we'll be eating some white bread for awhile and I'll be freezing some. I'm going to use some tonight and make french toast for dinner. And I'll try again for getting the honey wheat bread we normally eat on the next shopping trip.

11 comments:

  1. Some days you just have to sigh, and move on. I feel you though. White bread is hardly a substitute for wheat bread. At least it makes good French Toast. You could make extra and save to do like a Count of Monte Cristo sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking to myself...there are probably a dozen more different wheat breads they could have substituted!

      Delete
  2. I would hate getting substitutions! Winter is coming, so getting stocked up seems like a good idea if you are running low. I wish Tommy would eat French toast, but he hates eggs. I just won't make it for me only. Maybe I will...lol.
    Have you ever thought about ordering from Amazon? I buy a whole box of whatever, like tomato paste. I found it cheaper than at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wal-Mart pick up has been disappointing us lately. I have to edit the substitutions every order. First it kept defaulting to substituting everything. Then it allowed you to pick the substitute, but you cover that items cost, if WM picks the substitute, the price of your ordered item doesn't change. Then this week they substituted hamburger buns for hot dog buns (wtf), but charged me the higher cost of the hamburger buns vs keeping the price of the hot dog buns I ordered. I declined in the app. Then noticed other substitutions they made (I did not pick), they selected higher priced items and I was charged more too. I loathe grocery shopping and pick up in convenient, but it's very frustrating lately! I'm lucky is 50% of my order is in stock lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loathe grocery shopping, too. Our Walmart has gotten better with having most of the items in stock lately, but their website is horrible now. It constantly changes my store (to like a different state) and the substitutions not saving is annoying.

      Delete
  4. Sorry but I just don’t understand why people just don’t walk into the store and get what they want. I guess I like to see and pick out my own things. I could understand it during Covid peak. But I don’t get the then getting upset with substitutions, I would think the time online and then wait would be longer? Just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several reasons, for me now, that I prefer the order pick up. When I used to live 5 minutes from stores (and several) it was easy to do grocery store shopping once a week and stop in other times for this or that. Now I live 50 miles from the store. When I go in to get groceries I try to get 2-3 weeks worth of food and supplies, rather than having to make this drive/waste gas every week. If I go by myself (which is easier because most times I'm also combining the trip in with seeing my mom) there is no way I can fit that much groceries into one cart. It would take me 2 hours and 2 trips in the store and back to my car to get what I normally purchase. I have had zero problems with the fresh food that Walmart has picked out for me. I'm not upset with subs, I'm just annoyed that they keep changing their online ordering system and when I don't realize that, the subs get messed up. Plus they used to do a return right there as they were loading, if you didn't want something. I don't spend too much time online, as most everything I order is the same as before and I can just do "re order" and then adjust as necessary. I'd much rather do it online than walk around a store, trying to push a cart that is now so heavy from 2 cases of water, soda, 2 gallons of milk, canned goods, etc. For me, by the time I spend 45 minutes driving there, shopping for an hour or two, pushing a heavy cart around, then getting it loaded into my car and then drive home 45 minutes, it's exhausting. When I was younger, no problem, but I'm almost 60 now. There have been a few times the wait for them to bring out the order is ridiculous, but again, I'd rather sit in my car then be in the over crowded store trying to push a loaded down cart around for an hour or more.

      Delete
    2. or the TLDR version - a grocery shopping trip where I actually do the shopping is a 4 hour deal for me/where I live.

      Delete
  5. I have a love/hate relationship with wm pickup. I mostly do it when I have heavy items so I don’t have to wrestle them in and out of the cart. I recently was offered a 90 day free trial for Walmart+, so I signed up for that, and did my first delivery this week-loved it lol.
    Here’s a tip for you. If you get something in pickup you aren’t happy with just go to the order, click start a return, and from there just answer the couple simple questions. I have only done it a couple times when I received bad produce, but they don’t make you return it. They just credit you and tell you to keep the item.

    I don’t mind grocery shopping anywhere besides Walmart. I just hate going in that store. Pickup and delivery are perfect for me-and a big perk is the 5% cashback with the wm credit card. My Dh doesn’t understand why I don’t just go to the store. I tell him he’s more than welcome to take over the grocery shopping if he doesn’t like my method!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking the 5% cashback too. I will try that pickup return tip. If I lived where they would deliver, I'd be all over that Walmart+ haha.

      Delete
    2. I doubt they would deliver to you lol. I know they go 20-25 miles here because a driver mentioned that one time when he was delivering a .com order I had placed from the store instead of shipping it to me. I’m about 7 or 8 miles from the store is all.

      I once placed a site to store order years ago when they offered that, and the website changed my address to another state all on its own. I worked at wm at the time so I asked what I could do and was told once I didn’t pick it up they’d cancel the order and issue a refund. I’m not sure why wm has so much trouble running a website.

      Diane

      Delete