Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Tuesday this and that

I recently purchased an over the door towel hooks/hanger, but found it very loose over the guest bathroom door (and a little bit smaller than I thought it would be). I was going to return it this week, but this morning had a thought. I have a bunch of various shaped/sized felt furniture pads with sticky on the back. They can also be cut to size. I put those on several areas of the towel hanger and it works great now. It doesn't bang against the door as you open and close it and stays put. 

Here is the chair I got for the guest bedroom. The blanket I just brought home from dd. She bought it or got it somehow, but didn't want it, so I took it to try here with this chair. Not sure if I'll keep it (it's a little large) but will try it out and see if it grows on me. I do like the chair and the color is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

I order my 40lb box of cat litter from Chewy. Amazon has it, but shipping is as much as the litter. Walmart has it too and I think I ordered it there once. I need to reorder and I no longer want to use Chewy since they have a $49 minimum order for free shipping. Now that we only have one pet, I just don't need enough things to order pet-wise for $49. (the litter is about $17 or $18). I was going to just order from Walmart, but of course, they are now out of stock. I found Petco carries it and you only need a $35 min order, so I ordered it and some cat food. It's almost time to switch kitty to adult cat food, so I might as well get that now and start gradually switching him over. 

DH got the other parts he needs for finishing the clutch replacement on the quad (it's an old 1995 Honda Fourtrax quad) and said he'll have it finished today to try out and see how much better it now works.

With re-reading the book "Genius Foods" I'm trying to be more mindful of what I am going to eat going forward and try to implement some of the suggestions. I don't think I can cut out sugar altogether, but I know I can cut it down. The recommended limit of daily sugar intake for women is 25 grams (or about 6 teaspoons). Eek. I get that amount just from my breakfast of coffee and yogurt! I put in 2 tsp of sugar in my coffee, the creamer I use is 5 grams...for a Tablespoon amount. I'm guessing I use more than that. I put in "2 splashes" LOL. The Activia probiotic yogurt I've been eating (which has helped my stomach) is 12 grams. Plus all the other stuff with sugar I eat the rest of the day. It's going to take awhile to get myself used to so much less sugar. Not to mention starchy foods break down in your body as sugar. Eek, again.

The book author recommends using organic heavy cream in your coffee. This has no sugar, so if I can get used to the taste (I do like cream), though still adding my 2 tsp of granulated sugar, I will cut out at least 5 grams. I'll have to see what I can find to replace this particular yogurt. That's too much sugar. I tried just a plain yogurt at dd's. Yuck. No can do. She just uses it in smoothies. I don't think I can add fruit to it - I won't like that either - it's a texture thing with fruit I do not like. 

Yesterday morning I looked on the camera a little before 8am and it appeared mom wasn't there, so had gone down for breakfast. At 8:05 she called me, asking if I knew if she had anything to take for diarrhea, she has a stomach ache. I said I don't think so, but are you actually having it? She said well, no...I said well, you don't want to take anything for that unless you actually have it. Then after I questioned her some more she said well, it's not really my stomach, it's higher up. I then said oh, well I guess you won't feel like eating breakfast then? and she said no. I just told her to drink lots of water and rest and I'll check on her a little later. I then texted her caregiver to let her know she wasn't going to go down. She texted that mom was down at breakfast, had her coffee and ate half her breakfast and then got up and left. So, at least she did get something in her stomach. It's nice having the extra set of eyes on her, so I was able to know she did get some breakfast. I checked on her later and as expected, she was completely fine and had already forgotten about her stomach ache. The caregiving is going much better and have not had any issues with one of them getting there to give her her pills. And on occasion mom actually thinks to push the button and take them herself before they get there. Maybe once a week or so.

6 comments:

  1. ( Anne Bee 🐝 ) that’s good that the caregiver is working so well with you now - it sounds like you were able to really enjoy your visit to see DD and catch up with work colleagues knowing your mother was being monitored at her apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was definitely a help while I was away, except for that first morning, haha ;) and then the 2 calls in one afternoon from mom because her purse is missing (again!) and then a call from my uncle that he's been trying to call her and she's not answering. I said she doesn't get back to her apt from dinner until after 6pm so then he tried and got her. I didn't get much of a break that day, LOL.

      Delete
  2. At Christmas the wreath hanger was clacking around when we opened and closed the door. I folded a piece or corrugated cardboard and stuffed it in the gap. It worked and was only temporary. I would have to use something like you did for something more permanent like your towel holder which is really cute. Okay, the chair looks like what you need. I would leave the blanket there.

    I wonder what the stomach problem was all about. Maybe the former problem is the only glitch in her care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I like the chair :). I don't know with mom, but figured whatever it was would go away pretty quickly and glad it did.

      Delete
  3. I like the chair & throw blanket. Looks nice. I always love something to hang a robe or sweater on the door. That has a nice rustic look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the nice clean look of the room. Your fix for the towel holder would be a good thing to put in a review as I imagine others have had the same issue. Sugar...hard one to break free from!

    ReplyDelete