Tuesday, October 13, 2020

An interesting read

My side job is based in Portland. I had asked my boss/friend how close their new office (they aren't in it yet) is to downtown and all the rioting/destruction. She said not right in downtown. I said well, eventually they will run out of downtown buildings to vandalize and start moving beyond. Well, she just sent me a picture of their building spray painted all over. Then she pretty much just said what I said in my previous blog - she doesn't know why they did this at their age!

I'm reading an interesting book about food and the brain called Genius Foods. I'm only about halfway through it, but have learned a lot, so far. Some of it is a bit on the scientific side, but the author does try to explain in layman's terms and analogies as best as possible. Here's the "funny" I've learned: I have seen T'Pol mention cooking and EVOO in her blog posts and I had no idea what EVOO was....oh! Extra Virgin Olive Oil, LOL! Ya learn something new every day!

There was a few pages I read last night talking about "anticholinergic" drugs and how they work. They work by blocking the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. The cholinergic system engages in many activities in the body, but is mostly thought of for its role in REM sleep, learning, and memory. Three of the drugs on this list my mom now takes (or did take for quite awhile) and two are considered "strong" anticholinergic drugs. Diphenhramine (benadryl, ie the Advil and Tyenol PM she was taking regularly), Paroxetine (she currently takes and has been on for years) and Alprazolam. She doesn't take Alprazolam any more (and it is considered low on the scale). Research has found that people who used these drugs were more likely to have developed dementia than those who didn't use them. Taking an anticholinergic for the equivalent of 3 years or more was associated with a 54 percent higher dementia risk than taking the same dose for 3 months or less.(from Genius Foods, by Max Lugavere). Yikes! I can only imagine what taking 3 of them would do to the brain.

Like my dd said, that paroxetine's purpose is to change something in your brain (so she's happy all the time), it seems obvious that long term use would have negative effects. I know she tried to go off of it several years ago and was all messed up, so she went back on it. Then, finally, about a year and a half ago, after mom's bf got her into her doctor to review her meds) he did cut the dose down in half (well, he didn't change her prescription, just told her to cut the pills in half) so she has been on 10mg for the last year and a half. She honestly doesn't even know why she takes it anymore. She doesn't know what it is for and often times will say she thought it was for excessive sweating. (pretty sure that med also caused her excessive sweating and weight gain, too)

We briefly discussed the paroxetine with her doctor when I had her in for her first appointment in June. I mostly got the impression that the dr. felt if she needed it, there were now newer drugs that worked better, but nothing was discussed that it could lead to cognitive/memory problems. I'm tempted to email the dr. to ask her opinion. If discontinuing use could maybe at least stop the progression of memory problems, it would be worth it. Or maybe the damage is done. I really can't find any info on that. I do know I am very glad I figured out to get her off the Advil PM (Dr. very much agreed with that, too), at least. (I also am hoping my boss looked into it more, as she said she takes Advil PM regularly).

The author started researching diet and the brain, when his mother developed dementia in her late 50's. As, I said, I'm only halfway through reading, but basically our modern diets are atrocious and obviously causing a whole lot of physical and brain problems for us.


10 comments:

  1. You must not have watched much Rachel Ray-She always said EVOO as if we all immediately knew her thoughts. I get frustrated tha tthe riot and vandalism has lost people who would have seen the common sense messages of many f the protests. I question who these rioters and vandalizers are though-not the same as those protesting. I think we all could benefit from a hard change to our 2020 diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever watched Rachel Ray, maybe seen part of a show once, years ago. If she was on during the work day, I wouldn't have seen it, LOL. I know my diet definitely needs a tune up, especially towards more fresh food and veggies.

      Delete
  2. EVOO? LOL! Interestingly enough I learnt to call it that watching US Cooking Shows especially Rachael Ray. I even had someone bring me two Wüsthof Santoku knives from Germany. One for mom, one for myself. Imagine two Turkish women watching an Italian-American cook using a German made, Japanese vegetable knife and wanting it. Talk about globalization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the kind of book that would probably interest me so thanks for the recommendation. I've downloaded a sample on my kindle to see how I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had downloaded the sample too and found it interesting. I was going to pay the $2.99 for it, but then decided to see if my library had the ebook to borrow, which it did ;)

      Delete
  4. I have refused to take Tylenol pm for years, and I avoid benadryl
    My son has severe allergies and I know some of that is in some of his pills but he would die without em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that it was benadryl in the PM pills and certainly didn't realize taking benadryl regularly was so bad, so I'm at least glad I figured that out to get my mom stopped with those. It's like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

      Delete
  5. I have told Tommy about the benadryl, but he refuses to listen. He has problems with memory already. I was given flexeril for a muscle problem, strained something, and could not stand up after the first pill, so no more. Well, I think it was a muscle strain. It is funny that I think my body warns me fast that these kinds of pills are bad for me. I have an immediate reaction, not one I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read in the book that muscle relaxer is also same type. I had taken some off and on when I hurt my neck and back about 13 years ago. But, I could only take a half a pill, or otherwise I'd have RLS all night.

      Delete