Thursday, January 30, 2020

Back to regularly scheduled programming

My new Dearfoam "sweater slippers" arrived. Much more cushion-y on the bottom and they are cuter than my old slippers.

DH is putting back on some of the weight he lost when he was so active and busy during our house build. And that is bringing back the snoring. I find myself more and more having to tell him to turn over on his side during the night, as he prefers to sleep on his back and that is when he will snore. I tried to get him to roll over last night about 2am, but he mumbled that his back hurt and he had the heating pad on. A few seconds later he was back to snoring like a freight train. (and we have a freight train that goes by right on the other side of the river, haha! it's a low rumble, barely hear it). I got up, grabbed my pillow and went upstairs. Of course, as soon as I stepped away from the bed our yellow lab got down to follow me. He has to sleep wherever I am. I decided to try out the new bed that is the bear log bed. It's super comfy! Kind of soft on top but firm underneath. And the sheets were soft. Those are the sheets I ordered from Kohl's on the Black Friday deal for like $12, regularly $60. Only when I ordered them I didn't realize they are microfiber sheets, or I probably wouldn't have ordered them, but if they are $60 for queen size, I would think they'd be decent! They are fairly thick and very soft. Nothing like the microfiber sheets that came with a comforter set I have. Super thin and can almost see through them.  Sometime later the other dog showed up to join us, so I had a full bed with me, LOL.

I took a 2 hour lunch today (figure I'm owed several hours from earlier this week) and we went into the city and picked up our grocery order from Walmart. We last went 3 weeks ago, so pretty good to make it 3 weeks. I only went into our little town grocery store once for some things we were out of and spent $50 in these last 3 weeks. Today's bill was $292. Ouch. Maybe that is just because I am getting better and buying for 3 weeks, rather than 2 weeks. I hope that is why the increase. Tomorrow is payday. The last shopping trip was on 1/9, so that came out of my 12/31 paycheck budget. The $50 came out of the 1/15 paycheck budget and so did today's, technically.

Other than maybe a trip to town little store (where I usually seem to spend $30-50) in the next 2 weeks, that is all I should have to spend out of tomorrows paycheck budget of $275. I spent about $625 total in January (budgeted $550) but will only spend about $50 of my 1/31 paycheck $275 budget, so over 3 paychecks ($275x3=$825) I'll be ahead about $150 with my food budget.

I bought some yeast and coarse salt to try to make homemade soft pretzels. I haven't made those in years, but always liked them. I also want some bread bowls to put clam chowder in and apparently stores around here do not know what bread bowls are. I have never found any. I found a Pinterest receipe to use Rhodes frozen bread dough. Let it thaw and split a loaf into 3 sections, to make 3 bread bowls. 5 loaves was only $5, so I'll be able to make 15 bread bowls and be able to make then whenever I feel like it. I also bought some ingredients to try making a "sweet cinnamon milk tea". Just writing about all this is making me hungry. Time to close up shop for the day and head downstairs to make dinner. We are just going to have salads and turkey/ham/provolone cheese sandwiches on big croissant rolls.

DD gave me another Netflix gift card (birthday gift from ealier) so I have been watching some shows with new seasons since I last had Netflix (went without almost 2 months). About 4 of the shows I watch released new episodes, so I will be busy for awhile watching stuff.

8 comments:

  1. I became confused. How much did you figure groceries cost you for one month?

    I have not slept with a snorer since I got a divorce. Tommy sleeps in the living room and I can still hear him. Freight train, chain saw, it is loud. Only my sound machine in my bedroom drowns him out all the way down the hall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was confusing! I budget $275 each bi monthly pay check. So $550 a month but I have just spent $625 for January. BUT out if this next paycheck I should only spend $50 of the $275 budgeted. So the $75 over budget for January and the $225 I will have leftover from this paycheck food budget, I'm under budget $150 because I won't have another big shopping trip during the next 15 days until I get paid again

      Delete
  2. Do you include things like dog food, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. in your grocery budget of $550 per month? I think it's great that you are able to grocery shop once every 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all that is included. I've always found it cheapest to buy laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc at Walmart or Target. Dog food and treat I've been ordering from Chewy.com for a couple years, but just started trying Amazon subscribe and save this month. A 40# bag of dog food I buy last about exactly 30 days, so it works out good. It's hard for me to plan dinners for 3 weeks and by the last several days there's not much left. I always have to make a run into our town grocery store about midway through to get more milk and whatever else we need.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness for spare bedrooms! What I spend on groceries fluctuates a lot, depending on when Hubs is home. So far, I'm at $165 this month, but will be doing a bigger shopping trip later today. I do include health & beauty, detergent, paper products, etc. with my grocery budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when he snored bad and both kids still lived at home. I'd end up on the awful couch...with the 85# dog trying to share it with me too, Haha.

      Delete
  4. If you say to the sleeping snoring person, slowly and clearly, “TURN ON YOUR SIDE” they will, without waking!
    I tried it once and it worked! xx

    ReplyDelete