Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Busy day

It's hopping around the house today. 4 subs are here working. Painter, finish guy, mason and cabinets.

I am LOVING the cabinets!! They are just what I wanted. A bit rustic and beautiful.  There is one issue that came up with an overhead corner cabinet. Apparently they didn't do the angle right on the edge of it, so that one piece will probably have to be re-ordered.  And then DH just came in and said one of the lower cabinets is broken, so she's going to have to re-order that, too. The cabinet people are super professional. There are about 5 guys here, plus the cabinet lady. The first thing the head guy said to his guys, was "lay some cardboard down over this front outside concrete (under the front porch) so we don't track all over it". The painter lady and crew should take notes!

I will post cabinets pic when I can take one without all the workers in the picture, haha.

Speaking of the painter lady. She's working on the front entry door today for staining. The flooring is covered partially in ram board and there are rectangles of wood covering all the heating vent openings. Apparently she wasn't paying attention, pushed the board out of the way, put her little 2ft ladder where the hole is, stepped on it, it tipped over and put a hole in the wall. Sigh.....

She is literally making DH sick to his stomach. I cannot wait for her to be done and gone - forever. 

Six weeks ago was when I picked out the appliances I wanted, online with Lowes. Three of them they no longer carry, already. Good grief. I ordered a different, but same size and price, cooktop about a week ago from Lowes. Today I ended up ordering the wall oven/microwave combo from Amazon. It was same price as Lowe's, but no 10% off I would have gotten with Lowe's. Home Depot had it, but would only deliver to the store, so we'd have to go get it and it was $270 more. So, I went with Amazon. It's supposed to be here sometime next week. We are hoping it gets here before the electricians come next and they can get it wired up.

I don't know how people build a house who aren't on site, like we are.  So many questions. How do these subs get answers when no one is there to answer? DH answers what he can, but a lot of the interior stuff isn't his dept (for good reason, LOL) so he has to text me to come out and answer. 

8 comments:

  1. So sorry about the wall. Hope, she will pay for or fix the hole. What a character! Looking forward to seeing the kitchen cabinets. I love the rustic style but here in this country, to get that look, you have to pay two arms and two legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least she wasn't hurt. It'll get fixed, probably have to have the drywall guy back out and then she will have to touch up with painting. These cabinets weren't cheap, but they weren't super expensive either. Our friends said they spent $30k on cabinets and countertops for their house and they had laminate countertops. We used same cabinet lady and are having granite and are spending almost half what they did. I know we have less kitchen cabinets, but we also added laundry room, that they didn't.

      Delete
  2. Glad you like the cabinets. I have always been unsure about my choices until installation and then I can relax. (Except for 1 tile pattern on top of the rolling island. (I did not want granite there because of the weight but found a porcelain tile that looks like black alligator hide and blends well with the countertops)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. Not sure about my choices and then they turn out ok, LOL. I'm still trying to decide on the backsplash tile, since I'm not going to have the granite as backsplash. I'm kind of leaning toward a copper like tile for the kitchen, to go with the copper sink.

      Delete
  3. We lived 3 hours away when we built. To say it was nerve wracking is an understatement. We designed the house plans. There were a couple of boo boos that actually turned out for the better. Our 6 months turned into 2 years! Fortunately we still had our 1st house to live in. We don't plan to EVER build again. I hated being 3 hours away but I couldn't have handled being on site either. :0(
    I feel your pain & your excitement;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling our 6 months is going to be a year and a half! We started on the shop a year ago next week. We've had some things that turned out for the better too.

      Delete
  4. My BFF had her house built. She was working, my husband was retired so he was there every day. Good thing because, like you, he found many mistakes on the spot so they could be corrected right away. Can't wait to see the cabinets, too bad a couple were not acceptable. How much longer with that painter woman. She's really annoying me,lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since painter lady's hubby is here now doing finish work - and what do you know, he's working all day, I have a feeling she'll get more done now, because she's here all day too, rather than 2-4 hours. We'll see. I wouldn't think she has much more to do. All the trim is almost done. She just has some door stuff left to do and when it warms up enough she has some trim outside to paint and caulk

      Delete