Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fall maintenance

It looks like we will need to have our septic tank pumped out. It has been awhile. I think we had it done about 7 years ago, when we refinanced our house. I honestly don't remember how long it's been. But, at least DH remembered the name of the company we used, so I can save time trying to decide which company to call. Seems like it was in the $200-300 range to have done. Thankfully, I have the money for it. I have been keeping an emergency reserve of at least $500 for something unexpected (I currently have $1300) for house our auto repairs that might come up.

It's a beautiful Fall day and I did a bit of fall pruning this morning, though decided to wait on the big fuchsia bush. It still has all the little leaves on it, making it hard to see all the branches that need to be cut at the base. Plus, our yard waste cans are plumb full so I will wait until they are empty and the bush is easier to cut down.  I cut down the 2 rose bushes and also cut down a bit on a diablo ninebark plant in the back yard. We actually made is through this summer without anything dying! The year before was quite a challenge for us.

Here's a funny: We had some corn cob type squirrel food we put out over the summer. Apparently they would drop the corn kernels around as a couple of corn stalks were growing nearby. One even ended up clear on the other side of our property, just over the fence, on neighbor's property. DH pulled out the ones growing on our landscaping, but I noticed the one just over the fence actually has a corn cob growing on it!

DH did another leaf blowing session this morning and is digging up the lid to the septic system right now, so it will be ready for whenever the septic company can get out here. I'll call first thing in the morning and hopefully it will be within the next few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment