Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mystery box

I guess the old saying "one person's junk is another person's treasure" is true.  While getting out some Christmas decorations from our built in china cabinet cupboards I decided to do a little digging in the far back corners and see what is hiding back there. First I found an old baby wipes tub. Opened it up and there was a bunch of change, keys, batteries and screws. I counted up the coins (2 silver dollars and a Susan B Anthony dollar among the high dollar coins) and got $4.20.  Threw away the rest.  Then there was this brown box about 4"x6". Inside it appeared to be a cup holder for a car. Since the box had to have been down there probably 15 years I knew it wasn't to any car we still owned. I was going to throw it away, but thought I'd show it to DH first. He was almost going to toss it out too, but just out of curiosity he wanted to know which vehicle we owned at one point that it came from.  He googled the part # on the cup and was lead to these selling on ebay. Listed anywhere from $35 to $50!  Apparently these are no longer made so people are willing to pay a good price for them, especially new in the box.

He listed it and it is now up to $42. We are sure having a laugh that the piece of plastic we almost tossed in the garbage can is making us money!

5 comments:

  1. Woohoooo! How great to sell something that you thought was trash for such a nice chunk of change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craziness!! Nice for you though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that was a good day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for both keeping something out of the landfill, getting it to someone who wants it, & making a little money for yourself! Win/win/win! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - I sell on ebay and it's amazing what people will buy and what they are willing to pay for them! One of my really great sales recently was a women's sweater I sold within 12 hours of listing for $200!

    ReplyDelete