Thursday, July 19, 2018

What does this sentence mean to you?

The maximum loan amount I can approve for you prior to selling your existing home is 453,000 

I took this to mean I was approved for a loan of this amount and didn't need to sell my existing home to qualify for it.

I'll go into more detail later, as this is currently unfolding (and collapsing), but just wanted to get your take on how you would interpret that. I know lots of people qualify/get a mortgage to buy a  house or construction loan in addition to their current mortgage and then sell their current home later. I assumed that's what this meant.

8 comments:

  1. I would take it to mean what you think. When we made an offer on our current home, we hadn't (gulp) even inquired with the bank as to how much we could borrow. I thought it was insane what they were willing to loan us, especially since we still had a house to sell. Even with that, we purchased a home for $200K less than what we were approved for, and (thankfully!) were able to sell our other house rather than carry two mortgages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too...approved for a 453,000 loan without selling the house. PRIOR means before...which means it would change (be higher) AFTER you sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I would think also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like "prior to selling your existing home" is pretty self-explanatory...I'm guessing not....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My take is that before you sell your existing home the maximum loan amount is 453 k. I would assume after the sale has closed the max would be reassessed

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a non-native English speaker, I understand the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, 453,00 before selling your current home.

    ReplyDelete