Sunday, January 22, 2017

Weekend this and that

I haven't been doing a whole lot the past couple of days, mostly watching the Inauguration stuff on tv. I'm so ready to see this country get back on track with the economy, jobs, healthcare and national security.

I did get a couple of nice/surprise phone calls. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but when we were in the process of buying our piece of land we got to know the only neighbors there a bit. Really nice couple in their early 60's. We saw them the two times last spring when we were looking at it and then after we made offer. We called them a couple of times updating them on our fiasco of trying to sell our house, etc. They called us once or twice for an update.

The day we got here, we stopped in where the wife works here in town to say we made it. When we were rounding the corner to get to our street to get our keys at the house that next day, the husband happened to be walking across the street near where he works and we stopped and said hello.

And that was the last we heard from them! We've been here since first of October. I figured (this being such a small town and all) we might get a call to come on over, have lunch or something. We've been out to our property a few times. One time saw the wife outside for a minute and waved to her. The other times I don't think they were home. On New Year's day we went out there (the dogs love to run around the 2 acres and we wanted to see what it and the river looked like in all the snow) and didn't appear they were home (hard to tell because they park in garage). DH had me call them to leave a message when we got back home so that they'd know it was us who made the marks in the deep snow to turn around next to their driveway. Wife was home and we chatted for a few minutes on the phone. She was very nice but still, nothing like "hey, come over for a visit sometime" type of thing. 

Maybe it's just me, but that seemed kind of strange to me. There's not a lot to do or a lot going on around this area, so you'd think socializing would be the thing to do. Plus, if you know someone is new and doesn't know anyone, it would seem the neighborly thing to do.

Anyhow, Friday eve the phone rang and it was the wife inviting us over for coffee next Saturday and she's inviting another couple that live out that way (our property is 10 miles outside of town). So, of course I accepted and we are looking forward to it.

Then my cell rang and it was my old high school friend calling to see how it all was going. She's been taking a break from Facebook all month (her sister's husband is dying, so sad) so just wanted to say hi and that she had been thinking of me. It was a nice little chat and so nice that she took the time to call.

DH has been doing the grocery shopping with me at the little store in town. Such a change from the first 30 years LOL. You couldn't have paid him to go grocery shopping. LOL. We were going to stop in the lumber store for some things but they are closed all week because they are moving into a new building down the street from where they were. Can't go today because they aren't open on Sundays, LOL. Love small town life :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on being eager to see things change for our nation. The past 8 years have been difficult for our country. Obamacare is a disaster, hurting more people than it helped....oh, don't even get me going!
    Sounds like you are settling in nicely. I'm sure as the weather changes you will get to know more and more people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way - don't even get me going about Obamacare! It just boils my blood, so I try not to think about it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. You know it! Our premiums went up, we now have a deductible ($6500/person) that we never had before, my work gave their employees a 10% pay cut to cover this mess and I don't even take their insurance. Sorry, couldn't help myself. This crap makes my blood boil.

      Delete
    3. Wow, a 10% pay cut AND you don't even have the insurance! That is just insane. Pre Obamacare the premium (direct through an insurance company)to cover my dh was $170/mo. It had a lower deductible than the $6500. Now his premium is $512 a month with a $6500 deductible. Triple the monthly premium, plus the increased deductible. I'd really love for someone to tell me in what world that is fair and just....and I'm not going to buy that the increase in premiums is just due to rising healthcare costs and not due to Obamacare.

      Delete
    4. and welcome to blogging. I am reading your blog now :)

      Delete
    5. Insane, isn't it? $512 a month?! Ouch! Great insurance, not. Who can afford this? Then, even if you have it, who can afford to even use it? I maxed mine out last year thanks to breaking my ankle and subsequently needing surgery. Needless to say, with those expenses plus lost unpaid time at work, it was a very expensive year for us.

      Thanks for the warm welcome and for reading my blog. I feel honored! I'm really hoping it helps keep me accountable. I am also finding encouragement in reading the journeys of others trying to dig out of their debt holes. We can do this!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about Saturday, I still don't understand...

    ReplyDelete