Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cell phone bill update and looking ahead on the budget

While I was happy to start saving $5 a month on the new Verizon plan change, I was confused as to why they now show with the new plans that each phone line is $20 a month and we are still paying $40 each (so $40 each phone, plus $45 for data for all 3 of us). I chatted online with a customer service person and got the answer that our phones were bought at a discount/under 2 year contracts, so we are still subject to the $40 a month until those contacts expire. Then it will drop to $20 per phone. DD's contract is up in 2 months, and she will get the benefit of a lower phone bill at that time. Her share of the bill will go down from $60 a month to $40. That will be great for her budget.  DH and my phone contracts aren't up until November of 2016, but at that time will then drop down and with 2 phones I am paying I will save $40 a month. That will be nice when it happens. Almost $500 a year back in my pocket is nothing to sneeze at. These iphone 5's that DH and I have should last us several years.

Here are the budget reductions I have to look forward to in the next 12-14 months:

May-ish: Crestor goes generic. I am currently paying $172 a month for DH's prescription....and that's with a $50 a month discount from the manufacturer that the pharmacy has. I have no idea how much the generic version will be, but it's gotta be less.

June: DD will graduate. DD will most likely have a job lined up. Even if she doesn't, right away, the plan is for her and BF to get a place together. I won't be giving her $100 monthly towards her college living expenses. I won't be paying her auto (about $50/mo) and health insurance ($200/mo) any longer, or any other miscellaneous things I buy for her.

November 2016: phone contracts up and save $40 a month

Even without however much the reduction in Crestor will be, that's $390 a month savings. Plus, I assume I'll get some little raise next year. If last years extremely disappointing raise is anything like next years, then it will be very little....$50 to $70 extra take home.  Next year about this time I should have at least an extra $500 a month.




2 comments:

  1. Good for you! So exciting to find extra $$. we are just starting to chip away at debt and are constantly looking for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every little bit helps. What drives me nuts is as soon as I get one bill down another goes up!

      Delete