Thursday, April 16, 2015

Networking

DD is required to do two internships during her 3 years of coursework. Due to the amount of hours required in total, these will most likely have to be done over the next two summers. She has been applying to everything she can, but has had no luck so far. In fact, only one has even bothered to reply to her application, but stating the position already got filled.  Or a lot of the positions are so far away that she would be commuting 3-4 hours a day!

Yesterday I emailed my old boss. I've known him for almost 30 years now. We worked together as staff accountants for many years and while he was on the fast track to management, I was just on the fast track to mommy-hood and just trying to have a basic career in accounting. He ended up being one of the owners at the company I  now work at (that is how I got the job) but left the company about a year after I started there. We keep in touch and he now works for a consulting firm. A lightbulb went off in my head and I decided to email him as I am sure he has tons of contacts in the business's in our area.  He replied right back and sure enough he does. He's even involved with an organization that is specifically for the manufacturing industry. He will be forwarding her resume on to see what he can find for her. Perfect! If he can't help find her something, I don't know who could.

Hopefully between him and her aunt she can find something for this summer to fulfill her degree requirement.  I know this whole process is stressing her out and taking away from her study time with all the searching she has to keep doing to try to find companies she can approach for internships, since she's having no luck with the one's that are actually posting internship openings.

7 comments:

  1. That is the way life is, knowing someone helps alot. Good luck ti your daughter. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you have those connections to help her out.
    My youngest(also 1st year college student)is a music tech student and has to do a 14 week internship his senior year. But it looks like it can be anywhere in the country so I am going to suggest he stay with his uncle in VA and try to get him hooked up with studio work with Pharrell and/or Missy Elliot as they both have a presence in Va. Bch.

    Does your daughter have family anywhere other than were you are in the US she can stay with so she can broaden her search?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no. What very little family we do have is here local. One of my company owners said he would get her set up with an internship with the huge company we rep....it's in Atlanta, so I'm not sure how that would all work out for staying there for 3 months, but we decided it would be better suited for her 2nd summer internship, when she has more classes under her belt and is a little older. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. I agree it's who you know more than what you know.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things work out for her!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DD just got an email from her Aunt. She mentioned it to the Procurement manager while at a Director's meeting and this lady followed up with an email that she is very interested in putting together an internship posiufor her! Keeping fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete