Thursday, July 25, 2013

Weekend plans

It's going to be a busy weekend. DS is heading towards our neck of the woods as I type, doing another 13 hr drive. He won't make it all the way home, but he'll be racing a 2 hours drive from us on  Friday and Saturday, so we will be making the drive both days to see him. It's not going to be a cheap weekend with the ticket purchases, gas and a bit of food, but $200 or so is worth it to get to see our kid we haven't seen in nearly a month. I'm not looking forward to all the driving, but it's cheaper than getting a hotel room and paying for boarding for the dogs. We've been invited to a pre-race BBQ Saturday before the race, so that will save some cost on food.

A local fan of his has really been working hard to help him out this weekend. He's offered DS and his GF a place to stay for the weekend, where they can sleep and wash and work on the car in between the shows. He's secured a $500 weekend sponsorship and another $100 for him from another company. He's lined up a radio interview, too. DS has only raced at this track once before, but he made it to victory lane. While I'm certainly not expecting that to happen this big event weekend, I'm very excited to find out he was able to line up the same guy, to crew chief for him, who helped him win the other time he raced at this track. 

He seems to have things really starting to look up for his racing and that is a good thing. It's nice he can chase his dream at 21 years old - if only for a few years. He also got some great news that brings him even closer to his goal of living in Australia. He's been offered a full season ride for next race season and looks like he will be heading back to Australia at the end of September. They have a long race season (due to their great weather) and he will be there at least 8 months. His buddy/car-owner is lining him up a job so he can work while he is there, earn some money and help with rent and food. DS will get a work visa this time, so he can work and stay longer. It's quite the bohemian lifestyle for semi-pro racers, but he's young and has no commitments, so why not?! I just kind of wish he didn't have to do it 7,000 miles away from home, but he absolutely loves Australia and the friends he has made there.  I just hope we have enough money some day to go visit him! It's always someplace I've wanted to see.

I'm also excited that I might get to see a very old friend. A couple of weeks ago I reconnected with a friend from grade school/jr high and turns out she and her hubby go to the races quite often. I let her know we would be there this weekend and she said they can come on Saturday. I hope she does, we haven't seen each other since we were teenagers and it would be so great to see her again.


3 comments:

  1. I'm with you - he's young & the time to have that kind of lifestyle is right now - before kids & bills and commitments that tie him to a more structured life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your DS can do what he really enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! How wonderful that he can do that! I am excited for you about your friend. I did that a couple of years ago and it was the best time!

    ReplyDelete