Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Trying to revive

It was such a busy, exhausting weekend that I'm just now feeling like I am getting caught up on sleep and energy. I am getting too old for that kind of weekend! We drove in early Friday afternoon traffic to the racetrack for a 2 1/2 hr drive - then got home at 1:30 am after a 1 hr and 45 min drive home. Turned around Saturday about noon and did it all again, though we didn't get home until 2:30am Sunday morning. Friday evening we had a friend of DD's come over and feed the dogs and let them out for a break. She had so much fun playing with them, she stayed an hour playing outside with them. Worth the $20 I gave her!. DD stayed home Saturday, as she had to work early Sunday morning, so she took care of the dogs for that day/night. It was great to see DS and now we probably won't see him again until mid August. 

A great part of the weekend was getting to see my best friend from grade school/jr high (then my family moved away). We recently reconnected on Facebook and I haven't seen her since I was like a senior in high school. She and her husband came to the races and we got to sit and talk for hours while we watched the races. It was great to see her and catch up on 30 years!

Yesterday was payday and my raise was on this pay check. More money and it was a 12 day pay period, so take home was $2900. Feels great to pay bills and have even more leftover than normal. I am going to treat myself to something I've been wanting the past month or two. I think it's just around $20.......I'll post a pic later, if I make it out today to purchase it :)

DH is starting on a new yard project. Putting an "island" in our driveway. We have a big open gravel driveway area and I think it would look nice to have something visual to break up the big open space. We certainly have enough room for an island. He's going to encircle it with landscaping blocks and fill with dirt and put a big tree and some big landscape type rocks and maybe a couple of small shrubs. Our junkyard neighbor actually started doing some work this week trying to clean up his property a bit! I'm not holding my breath for anything major, but even a little helps. He had several large rocks so he brought them over on his forklift for DH's island.

We also purchased some skylight covers last week that should be here today. We have 2 skylights in our family room (where both our desks are) and they get the sun all day and gets so warm. DH made a comment last week "too bad there isn't some type of covers for these things"....so I googled it and what do you know?! there are such things. They were only $30 each and are supposed to be delivered today. It will be interesting to see how much it helps cool down the house. I'm also wondering if they will help keep some heat in the room (the largest room in the house) during the winter, if we leave them on.  We'll probably wonder why we didn't get them 20 years ago!


No comments:

Post a Comment