Monday, June 10, 2013

Back to the vet

Young pup was sick again yesterday. We noticed later in the morning one of the dogs had thrown up out on the lawn, but we weren’t sure which one and both seemed to be acting like they felt fine.  Then when dinner time came along, I gave young pup about half his normal food (I had a hunch it would be him, based on that he was just sick a few weeks ago and he is the one who will try and eat whatever he can find outside). We went outside and he had some serious diarrhea – just mainly liquid. We just sat in lawn chairs outside and stayed outside with him. You could tell he didn’t have much energy and then about an hour later he threw up the dinner he ate. Oh great – back to the vets and I can’t do another $500 bill!

Last time he was sick he threw up like every hour or so during the night, so DH (who always stays up until 2 or 3am anyway), kept an eye on him and then fixed up the gate to kind of block him in by the front door (where there is no carpet), right next to the couch and DH slept on the couch to listen for him, if he got sick. He was ok all night and then about 6:15 am when DH came to bed (and I was about to get up) I felt a cold wet nose excitedly giving me kisses (no, it wasn’t DH! LOL), so I was very happy to see he seemed to be feeling better.  He wanted food! So, I gave him about a 1/3 of what he normally gets and then we went outside where he grabbed his tennis ball, chased a bird and just full of energy. Then he had a bit more diarrhea, but not as bad as last night.  I grabbed a sample, figuring it would be helpful for the vet to have, in case the worms are back.  He was busy and energetic as ever this morning as I worked and got ready to leave for the office. I gave him a bit more of his food after about an hour and he seemed all better.  I called the vet to make an appointment and they just suggested (as they seem to do) to just drop him off for the day, they’ll keep an eye on him and get to him when they can. Since he was feeling so much better, I didn’t just want to leave him there all day, so I pressed her if I could just have a set appointment time instead. She didn’t have anything until 4:15 this afternoon, and I said based on how he’s doing this morning that would be fine. I just wanted him looked at again to be sure and to have his stool tested.

The vet checked him out and said all is fine. Whew! Her guess was he ate some grass clippings? Yep, most likely that is what he did and that had been DH's initial guess, too. Good thing we just blocked off the back of the property where we dump all the grass clippings, so now the dogs can't get to it. Since I have the puppy wellness plan I pay for every month - the visit and the fecal testing were free, so no money had to be spent this time. Thank goodness!


  1. Naughty puppy.....

    Glad he is ok!

  2. Glad to hear he's ok. Thank goodness our dog doesn't get sick, though she does munch on grass every time you leave her out for long. That's an awesome wellness plan you have! And seems puppy will make sure you use it to its fullest.

    1. We will definitely get our money's worth out of this wellness plan with this dog!