Sunday, June 2, 2013

Another productive day

At it again today. We had some blocks leftover so DH decided to tear out the little wood porch/landing at the back door that needed to be redone anyway and put in some steps using the blocks.  I like it!





Now, I think I need a new door mat -ha ha!

While they were outside doing that I kept busy in the house. Vacuumed and dusted. Made a pan of brownies and one of those jello no-bake cheesecakes. I've been craving cheesecake and while I know it will not compare to REAL cheesecake, it will do enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Dinner tonight will be spaghetti and french bread. DH really doesn't like spaghetti much but the other 3 of us love it and need it once in awhile! If he just doesn't want it, one of the kids can go get him McD's or something. We haven't had spaghetti for months and months.

Yesterday I picked up 2 lilac bushes. I had a 25% off coupon so they were only $11 each. I have been wanting one of these for so long! I can't wait for them to get big and hopefully next spring have beautiful smelling flowers on them. I wonder how fast these plants grow.


And for the not so fun part of the weekend - I have been dealing with ants - AGAIN! Every time they come spray each month, a day or two after here come the ants. I am SO sick of it and so tired of spending $44 a month and still have ants coming into my house. I so want to try a different company, but at this point they all want their initial $200 to come out to do the evaluation/first treatment and I really don't want to have to fork out $200 so I can get started with a different pest control company. So, I'm just going to keep calling the one who is doing it now for them to come back - again. For my $44 a month they have to come as much as needed, for any type of pest we may find we are dealing wtih. Maybe they'll get tired of coming back all the time and try to come up with a different plan of attack for our ant situation. Last month when we had them come back we made the guy get under the house and spray the crawl area. Most of the time they seem to come in either of the kids bedrooms and/or the bathroom between them.  But, this time it has been in the kitchen on the counter around the sink. UGH! I have literally been spending all weekend, since late Friday afternoon, wiping up ants to get rid of them. The pest control "experts" have always told us not to use store ant spray as they will just take this back to their nests and that sends out a huge warning to the ants to start separating into more colonies to try and save themselves and then they hatch even more ants.







5 comments:

  1. I would suspect a water leak somewhere. Ants need water and they are drawn to the sugars in foods so that's why they are drawn to bathrooms and kitchens and places nearby those rooms.

    At least that's been our experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are drawn to that (though we have no leaks going on) but I would hope that the over $500 a year I pay the pest control company should take care of keeping them out of my house! GRR!

      Delete
  2. Planting mint, they do not like mint.... And then you have mint to put in your teas if you like tea...also cucumber peels.... they do not like them...Peel a cucumber and then put them outside where you think they are coming in.... Also grits... Sprinkle grits and they take them to the nest.... when they eat it and then drink water it swells in them and they die....just some natural stuff... When we lived in Texas we had the Orkin man... well they took care of most of the stuff except the fire ants... I read about the grits and I sprinkled grits around the ant piles and then a day or two later water the lawn and a week later I didn't see the ants like I did.... So I did the grits ever few weeks... I know we didn't see any fire ants for a while....Don't know if they ever came back because we moved to Iowa....Hope this helps....Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you might try putting borax into sugar water. I've heard that is an effective way to kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I could see where they were coming into the kitchen from underneath the window trim, but could not see them outside at all! But I read they don't like cinnamon, either, so I sprinkled a line just under the window ledge and they have not come back since Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete