Sunday, January 6, 2013

Woof!

I've been trying to work on my stocking up of food and supplies. It's a slow process, but luckily I have had some extra money to take advantage of some sales and coupons when I see a good deal. With DS being gone, I've noticed an expected drop in my food expenses and am trying to funnel that  into my stockpile.

My recent purchases have been for the pets. I have some buy one get one free coupons for Beggin Strips treats and have been purchasing a few each week. I haven't come across a BOGO sale on them, (which would make them free) I did get 4 last week for $.26 each bag. Last weekend we were low and I had to purchase the expensive Blue brand puppy food we have been trying for puppy's itching problem (which it has seemed to work). He went through the $32 small bag in about 10 days or so. Ouch. Went back to Petsmart last weekend to buy the bigger 30lb. bag and luckily it was on sale $5 off, so it was "only" $48. During the week I got a Petsmart email that included a $10 off your $40 purchase. I went back yesterday and fortunately the dog food was still on sale $5 off and I also got the $10 off. Saving $15 a bag on that expensive dog food is a great feeling! I will definitely have to watch for those coupons in my emails to try and keep the cost of this dog food as low as possible!

Last weekend I also got some dog and cat food for our other pets at Target.  For the Purina One dog food I combined $2 off mfg. coupons with $1 off Target coupons and a sale of buy 2 get a $5 Target gift card to essentially get $5.50 off per bag. For the Purina One cat food I only had a couple of $1 off coupons, but the cat food also had the sale of buy 2 get a $5 Target gift card. I used up the $10 in Target gift cards yesterday toward the shampoo and deodorant DD needed.

3 comments:

  1. Holy smokes - that is expensive dog food! We only have one fish, so no other pets, but I didn't know pet food cost that much. We've talked about getting the kids a dog. . . someday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaii - Puppy was itching like crazy all the time and the fish oil pills weren't helping so we had to switch him to a premium all natural dog food. I think dog food prces range from pretty cheap stuff that you can get for $15 for a large bag to super expensive, like we had to get. Our older dog eats Purina One and it's about $19 for a 17lb bag. Years ago we had just used the cheap dog food for a dog we had, that apparently has a lot of fillers. Someone mentioned to us this was why our dog pooped so many times a day. We started him on Purina One and he only pooped once a day after that.

    This expensive food has really helped, so it must have been a food allergy he was having. He hardly scratches anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try to use coupons when buying pet products. A few months back I got pupporoni (sp?) for a quarter a bag. I was thrilled. Our pup used to eat blue buffalo but we switched to avoderm. A healthy pup is a happy pup. I'm glad that you figured out the itching and he's better!

    ReplyDelete