Friday, January 11, 2013

A good week, overall

I finally got an appointment made for DH to have an eye exam and get glasses - finally have the extra money to do this. All his other medical expenses have been taking up anything I could set aside for this! We're just going to Walmart Vision Center (where I have gone for years) and the exam is $65, plus whatever the glasses will cost. Hopefully he can find something he likes that aren't super expensive, but most likely, due to his age, he'll need bifocals, just as I do, and that will bring up the cost. Guess we'll find out next Wednesday. I can't imagine him in glasses - he's never had them before. Will take getting used to for him, I'm sure.

My generous mom strikes again! She earned quite a few Sears rewards points from the refrigerator purchase (plus I think she had some from Christmas shopping), so she has like $260 in rewards. She just told me there is nothing she really wants or needs at Sears right now. Since she ended up purchasing her new mattress somewhere else, she didn't use up the points. She said there is a dishwasher on sale for half off at $350. Plus she'd get another 15% off ($52.50) buy putting it on her Sears card. With the rewards points it will cost very little.  So, bye bye 24 year old dishwasher. You have served us very well to last all these years! 

I've decided to purchase DD the same type of down alternative comforter that I just got for my bed. Her room is the coldest in the house and this should help keep her toasty warm. It's on sale at Kohl's for $39.99 right now for twin size (reg. $79.99) plus I just got a 30% off coupon in the mail, so it will be $28. More than I paid for the king size on Black Friday, but still a good deal. I see that Kohl's is also having their spend $50 get $10 Kohl's cash. Might be worth it to spend another $22 to get the $10. DD always needs pantyhose for work and she mentioned the other day she needs new socks. Actually, with the 30% off coupon, I can actually spend an additional $32 worth of stuff to get to the $50 total. $40 comforter plus $32 in other merchandise = $72, less 30% = $50, plus get $10 Kohl's cash for future purchase. 

Last night DD found a duvet cover on Overstock.com for $40 that she used her money to pay for. Which by the way, she has quite a bit in her checking and savings now from working her job - over $1500 so far. She loves her job and the servers fight over having her host/help in their section. She gets pretty good extra tips from them, too. It's a great job for her while going to school. It's only about a mile and a half from home, so she doesn't have to spend much of her money on gas to get to the job. Her first quarter of college classes (while still in high school) earned her two 4.0's and one 3.1 (pre-calc) with a 3.7 overall GPA. I'm so proud of her and all her hard work.

The flu and cold germs are starting to go around work - currently have about 4 or 5 people (out of 35) out sick. Knock on wood, and maybe it's because I'm not in the office full time, but I never seem to catch the crud.My boss has it, but she has a very weak immune system due to some health problems, so she is sick quite a bit and I'm not surprised she got it.

My little 401k (that I got a late start on) finally made it up to the $25,000 mark. Plus in the next couple of months we are due to have deposited our profit sharing for this past year, so that will be another $2200 or so added soon.








5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to suggest getting the prescription from the eye exam and ordering glasses online. My glasses are super expensive (like $400) because of the lenses I need, but I can get them online for around $70. My son's are like $20. It takes a leap of faith but it could really save you some money! (I promise I don't work for an online eyewear store. I just hate paying a ton of money for glasses, especially since I usually wear contacts and the glasses are just backups.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked out those online eyeglasses and just haven't gotten myself to make the leap of faith to buy a pair of glasses that I can't try on my face! But, that is alot of savings. What company do you usually order from? I'm going to be going to the eye dr and getting an updated bifocal prescription soon. I might just try this out. My insurance covers some vision hardware, but not very much.

      Delete
  2. you lucky duck getting the dishwasher for that cheap...

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a very lucky ducky lately! Funny how growing up as an only child I wasn't spoiled at all. I had to buy myself most things I wanted. Now that she's retired and well off I guess it's her time to spoil me :-)

      Delete
  3. Yay for a new dishwasher, what a generous mom you have to share her points with you! We seem to have a lot in common -- from reading your comment above, you are an only child? So am I!! We are a rare breed! AND all my friends buy their glasses online but I said the same thing - if I can't see them on my face, I can't buy them. Took me months to pick out new frames last time! I should do it for my kids at least -- they don't care too much what their glasses look like. We get theirs at .... TARGET! lol ... And yes, I have read that Target site you told me about. In fact, I had just come from reading the latest when I received your comment.

    And Kohl's ... well they deserve their very own post :)

    ReplyDelete