Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The cost of high cholesterol

I went to my doctor last week to discuss my "moderately" high cholesterol, which went up quite a bit from my last exam a year and a half ago.  She didn't feel it was quite bad enough to make me go on a prescription medication (which she said once I start, I will be on for the rest of my life) but recommended an alternative, supplement method of taking Red Yeast Rice pills.  I found some at Walmart for $7 for a 30 day supply, so probably cheaper than a prescription.  I will go back to the doctor in 90 days to be retested.  It seems that my problem may be herediatary, rather than weight and diet.  I am not overweight at all and when I tracked the cholesterol I was getting daily it was pretty low.  Hopefully, this will work.

Also found out that my new health insurance is really not going to work with my out of network chiropractor.  He had agreed for me to just pay the $20 copay and he would accept the lower reimbursement from the insurance.  But, after the first claim was processed I have discovered that the $20 copay doesn't apply to out of network chiropractic visits - and there is a $1000 deductible to be met before the doctor is reimbursed anything, so basically he would only get the $20/visit from me and nothing else. Not fair to him and I don't expect him to agree to that.  So, guess I need to start looking for a new one.

On a separate medical note, Dh has gradually been increasing his dosage of the medicine he is trying.  He's not feeling drowsy or drunk-like from any of it so far so we just keep increasing every day. He did have one night he woke up and was sort of hallucinating, it seems (saw lots of lights and a lady sitting on the end of the bed drinking a soda!) but that hasn't happened again.  It will be a couple of weeks before he is up to the full dosage and according to the doctor a couple more weeks after that until he starts feeling any benefit (if he does).  He also has an appointment with a surgeon on Thursday morning (he is actually going to this appointment all by himself!) to look at the lump he has on his chest and then they will schedule for it to be removed. I'm sure it's just a small local anesthetic type of procedure. 

It's hell getting old!

No comments:

Post a Comment