Monday, October 9, 2017

Fresh Air

Yesterday, it had stopped raining, so we decided to lace up our hiking boots and get outside and take a hike on a trail that starts on the edge of town and goes up one of the mountain hills and over looks the town. We had discovered it back in July, but it was too hot to hike and then it stayed too hot and the air was too smokey from the fire. We had not hiked since near end of June, when our daughter visited. Needless to say, we felt it!

It was a 1.25 miles hike, up about 600 feet in elevation, made for very nice views along the way up of the whole town. The trail (unlike any other's we've been on) had rest stops every so often with a bench and a marker with some town history. We had packed a little lunch, planning to eat it at the top, but there was no bench to sit on there, LOL. I'm like "we get all the way up to the top and they don't put a bench here?" So, we went back down to the next one and sat and ate our lunch. My legs are still killing me today, especially my hips.

We got a bit bored and stir crazy on Saturday and ended up going out to eat dinner at the nicer restaurant in the next town over. It was our 3rd time there and both previous times we had the beer battered fish and chips.  DH ordered the same, but I decided to try something else on their menu and got the salmon. It was so delicious. Melt in your mouth. DH kept trying to steal bites of it. Hands off! This restaurant is more expensive than the one here in town, but the food is a lot better and they give you a small loaf of french bread and butter before the meal :) It still always kind of surprises me that people come in to sit down to eat and know other people sitting at other tables. LOL. That rarely  happens in a large metropolitan area.

I received an email this morning from our property neighbor - inviting us over for coffee some weekend in the near future. She's also inviting the new owners, who recently just purchased Lot 7 in our little subdivision. That's a great idea, so we can get to know them, too. I'll need to think of something to bring for the little coffee brunch. Last time I took banana bread, but need some ideas on something different. I can't remember what all we ate last time, but I do remember she had a fruit tray. One of the other couples she invited brought a dessert she made.


9 comments:

  1. Getting to meet your soon to be neighbors is a great idea.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. I don't know how soon they plan to build, but I'm sure we'll find out. When we were at the well drilling office the owner said they did get a call about doing a well for that lot, recently.

      Delete
  2. When you haven't hiked in a while it does take it out of you doesn't it. But it is always worth it. And thinking of taking something to your neighbours, I am so tempted to take the cobbler Anne (above) posted the recipe for very recently. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go back and check out Anne's recipe. I remember it sounded yummy.

      Delete
  3. Since it's fall, how about pumpkin bread or if not then a lemon loaf or poppyseed loaf or zucchini bread.. all sound great with hot coffee/ tea! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of that last night. I've never made it before, but something different then banana bread and like you said, fits in with Fall :)

      Delete
    2. meant to say I was thinking of pumpkin bread.

      Delete
  4. How about chocolate pound cake and lemon curd? My chocolate pound cake needs to sit for about 3 days, so I love to make ahead. I did put it in a bundt pan, but I decided that three loaf pans made enough for one dessert when others might bring something. Then, I can eat one at home for myself and freeze one. Usually, I just freeze both of the others. They do thaw and taste fresh baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea! DH always likes to have more of whatever I take somewhere LOL.

      Delete