Monday, October 30, 2017

A memory reminder

I received a call from my mom today. She couldn't remember what date I had come to visit her last month (was it on the 20th or 27th?) The reason she was asking is because she was reviewing her phone bill and there was a charge on there for a service technician visit on the 23rd and she had no idea what it was for and wondered if I remembered anything about what it might have been for, when I was there. I reminded her that she said she had to call the phone company and have someone come out, because when she unhooked her computer that week before to take to Best Buy, her landline phone stopped working. A guy came out and plugged her back in. She had completely forgotten about that. I even had to remind her that she took her computer into Best Buy to have it fixed. At least when I reminded her she did then recall it, rather than not remembering it at all (well, she said she did anyway). And I guess it's good that she's still looking over her bills to verify charges.  I'm really glad I went over everything I did with her, when I was there.  DD is going to visit her next weekend, so that will be good.

Interesting that the book just read and discussed at bookclub was about someone with Alzheimer's (though early onset). Mom is about the same age (76) that her father started showing symptoms (around 77-78). Let's hope it's not going to be that. He had it for 2-3 years, gradually getting worse, until one night (just before his 81st birthday) he died peacefully in his sleep. At the end, I think he still somewhat knew who my grandma was (he was still living at home) but usually thought I was my mom. At the time my mom was wintering in Arizona and when she got home that spring we had plans to put in in a care home, as it was just getting too much for my grandma to handle. But, that February he passed away, before mom could get home. At the book club several of them compared the book to another book they had all read some time ago about an early onset Alzhiemer's patient, called Still Alice.  So, I just read that one over the weekend. A much better book than the other one. Such an awful disease.









4 comments:

  1. It is so hard to care for an elderly person with dementia. I am frustrated from sun up to sun down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. My grandma got quite a bit of dementia her last year or so. Thankfully mom's is pretty minor, so far, but still very concerning as it usually doesn't get better :(

      Delete
  2. It is difficult dealing with someone with cognitive issues. At least she could recall with some prodding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the books (fiction) I read, the women with dementia would sometimes pretend they remembered, after someone reminded them, just so they wouldn't feel embarrassed. At least she is very early stages, at this point.

      Delete