Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The ideal work culture

I finally got through the work questionnaire yesterday. Ugh. Each question, requiring 4-16 sentences was worse than the prior question LOL.  I ended up googling "work culture" to try and get an idea of what exactly that means. Are they talking about pay and benefits, or the "fuzzy warm feelings" from a good environment? It's kind of both. Most of the articles I could find used some of the giants in excellent work culture as an example, working for Google. The perks seem to be an important part of work culture, as well as attitudes towards things like work life balance, family leave, etc.

Hmm...well, I think overall we have a darn good work culture. I guess the only thing I think that could make it where I'd want to get up two hours early and can't wait to get to work would be regular little perks. Even better if they were geared more personally towards the individual.  That could be why a few weeks ago an email went out to all employees asking us to answer the list given of our personal favorite things.

I sent my boss an email back that the link I was finally given worked to do the final questionnaire and I would get it finished. I told her I had mentioned to my DD I was working on this and trying to figure out answers and cut and pasted my DD's reply to me:



Your work culture is like the coolest environment ever so what the heck are people complaining about. Half days too short? Jeans too comfy?!

My boss replied back: 

LOL…. I really needed that.     Thank you so much 😊    XOXO  to  you both!

From the couple of sneak peaks I've gotten of our new office......it's going to be awesome. Very hip with a Pottery Barn feel, I think. Lot's of wood. That's where a lot of the furniture was purchased. I can't wait to see it. Sounds like lots of new technology to use, too. I'm still waiting for my new office chair, LOL. I'm sure it will get sent to me sometime soon, as they obviously have the furniture by this weekend.

When the office culture is already a great one, I'm not really sure what could improve it, other than even more perks. Back in 2007-2009 our bonus program was 20% of our salary and paid out monthly, if we hit our sales goal each month (which we always did). I would like to see that brought back. Right now we are at 10% and it's paid out twice a year.  Making sure we make those sales goals is really more important to me than little perks at the office, in all honesty. But, if the management wants to keep improving, there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I think they are just experiencing some growing pains related to adding more employees in the past couple of years, along with a bit of turnover (not much at all). Our departments are so intertwined in accomplishing our tasks, that I think they are having some issues all being on the same page.

4 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see the changes they make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Pottery Barn is some nice (and expensive!) stuff! I furnished my home office with Pottery Barn furniture, but admittedly it was via their outlet store as there is no way I could have afforded to pay retail. I have a few items in other areas of my home as well. You'll have to post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boss said they got 30% off everything they ordered, so it was much cheaper than the regular retail prices. Still not anything I could afford. Maybe one piece - haha! It looks like most of the stuff she ordered was probably for lobby (couch and chairs) or maybe a lounge/breakroom. It will be interesting to see what all the work stations look like. Hopefully not the standard cubicles with fabric walls, LOL.

      Delete