Saturday, May 20, 2017

Friday evening sofa time

I got to spend the evening to myself last night, a nice rare treat. DH took his buddy and his son to watch some dirt track races that were about 3 hours drive each way (yikes). Sounds like they had fun and DH got home at like 2am.

I plopped my butt on the couch and started binge watching Bosch on Amazon, again. I had only got through the first 2 episodes the last time I had time to watch. I think I still have one or two more to go now. For dinner I heated myself up some frozen egg rolls and made some rice in my rice cooker. I couldn't remember the water to rice ratio, so I googled it and both examples I glanced at said 1 to 1. Apparently that's not right for my cooker because the rice wasn't quite done enough. I think now I remember it was maybe 1.3 to 1 or something like that. I guess next time I'll google my actual brand of rice maker.

I talked with DD a bit on the phone, too. I use her Amazon prime account sometimes and couldn't get into it yesterday, as it wanted me to enter a code that was emailed. She got the code and called to tell me. We also discussed her helping Grandma (who's going to visit her today) with her ipad and how to send/post a photo. I'm like seriously - show her how to make a post on Facebook and write it down for her. LOL.  We both agreed that DD wasn't even going to explain to her how DD will have to enter her home wi-fi password, while Grandma is there, to use internet with it. I said just add your password and get it going - if you try to explain "wi-fi" to her she will not understand. When her BF moved she couldn't use her ipad to access her email and Facebook at his new place. I tried so hard to explain that he has different internet service and she has to enter his password in the "wi-fi" section of her ipad. Pretty sure she never did get it set up. She thinks it's her email password or something. I told her that she pays Century Link for her internet service, right? Yes, she gets that. Ok, well, they gave you a password to access that internet service, so only you can use it, not your neighbors, too. "Oh, well I have no idea what that password is or where I would have saved it." When you go to someone else's house they have different internet service/password that you have to enter in order to use your ipad. So, we are going to try the written down instructions and see if that can help her. We also both agreed that we will keep agreeing with her that she really does not need a smart phone for anything..........or she'll end up with a phone she can't figure out how to use.

I think DH and I might go into the city on Sunday. He needs some new saw blades and screws and the feed store has our dog food on sale, so it would be a good time to get 2-3 more bags. I think we have one left. I think he'll probably be too tired to go today, after all that driving yesterday and the lateness in getting to bed. He's still asleep now.

7 comments:

  1. About 25 years ago, my internet was off, don't remember why. I asked a friend who was about 70 if I could check my email at her computer. She agreed and it went over and checked my email. As I came from her bedroom, she asked me how I could get into her computer. I told her I turned on the computer and it was open. She still could not understand how I could get into the email. She never did understand that I had a separate account and that I put my password into the computer. I assured her I did not read her email and could not even get into her email. She never did understand. Now, I am 70 and get all that stuff. I still struggle with the android I just got, but since I know it is a computer, I am succeeding. The worst problem I have is with people who take my phone and do it for me. Then, I have no idea what they did. I need to input myself. So, does grandmother plus writing it down for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me a bit of a story my boss told me where her best friend came for a weekend visit to her lake cabin - where there was no cell phone or internet service. She was trying to use her tablet and boss told her no cell/internet service and her friend was like "what do you mean? isn't it always there, you know, just up in the clouds?".

      Delete
    2. She took the "cloud" literally! That made me laugh. Have you seen the commercial where the woman put her photos on the "wall" of her living room with scotch tape?

      Delete
    3. Yes, funny commercial. That would so be my mom LOL

      Delete
  2. With technology moving so fast, I often question my own ability to keep up. When my pc gave up the ghost last Fall, my daughter convinced me to buy a Mac. There were a few times I was ready to throw it out the window, but now I love it. I actually hate using a regular pc at my jobs! Watching my own father, I feel for that generation with all the technology of today's world. My dad grew up without a telephone in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be technology we end up struggling with as it all changes so fast and as we get older we don't like change! I think I'll "suggest" to my mom that she look for a class or something where they try to teach computer or smart phones to folks her age :) I'm sure they must be out there.

      Delete
    2. Check with senior center and library. And, make sure she takes a pad and pen to write it all down...like "click enter."

      Delete