Sunday, November 15, 2015

Adding stuff I love to my life

I've been enjoying having DD home since last Monday night. Her BF even had to work both days this weekend, so I got to see her more than I expected to :)  Yesterday morning we just went out for a bit of shopping and to put gas in my car for the week ahead.  I had received a $5 off anything Kohl's coupon as well as 30% off coupon, so wanted to find something close to $5. Not exactly easy to do and make it be something I need or want. But I ended up getting this cute rooster napkin holder. I'm having this chicken obsession lately, LOL, so of course I keep seeing things with chickens and roosters on them.

It was regularly $20 on sale for $12. With my $5 off and then 30% off it came to like $5 out of pocket. I had made a napkin holder at this pottery painting place with DD last spring, in red color, but it's really short and the napkins fall over, so it hasn't been something I ended up liking much. DD had picked out a cute scarf that she could also apply my 30% off coupon to. As we were wondering around the bath and bed area, just looking, she spotted a little card laying down on a shelf of clearance stuff and picked it up. It was a "Kohl's merchandise card" and on the back was written in sharpie $4.80 and the pin hadn't been scratched off. Figured we might as well try using it and it worked and she got her scarf for practically nothing!

Then we went over to a large Goodwill store. We would like to try our hand at the candle making when she is home on winter break. We got a few small fancy glassware type things that were .69 each to use as the candle holders. Though I'll have to be on the lookout for more, as I'm sure we'd like to make more than 4 total.

In my dreaming of having a new house - or even finally getting one of the kids bedrooms converted to an office for me I realized how much I would love to have a library type office or at least a bookcase filled with my favorite books. I love to read, but have never been one to buy books. I just never had the money, nor have I had much space for a bookcase. In looking over things I have pinned on Pinterest "for my home" the past couple of years, there are quite a few of home library's or reading areas. I searched through all the books at Goodwill and found several in author's/series I love. I only bought 2, as they were still $4 each, but it's a start and something I can add to here and there.

I do have a couple of books from these series already, that I had received as gifts. It's been so long since I even looked at the price of a hardback book - $27?! Wow. I think it will also be fun to look for books every now and then, kind of like a treasure hunt.  Someday I'll have enough to fill a bookcase or two and have something like this :)



3 comments:

  1. We love our books.. my 2nd oldest has sooo many books!! I love that photo of the 'book nook', thats just awesome! I'd love a spot like that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I was growing up I had tons of books too. After college (and then I had my first child) I didn't have much time for reading, nor the money for books, so it was always the library or borrowing books from my mom to read. Now I'm ready for my own books again :)

      Delete
  2. I also love that book room. I had always wanted one and somewhere to keep my sewing stuff, so when all and sundry had left home I managed to empty the "dump" room and redo it using cheap furniture. It has a lovely view over the mountains too but do I use it to sew or read - not at all. The previous owners of this house converted one of the two larger bedrooms into a TV room so I have all my sewing stuff in front of it and book piles on the table next to it. A bit of a mess but at least it is upstairs and out of site, so I guess that is now officially my sewing/reading room. Still, at least the other room looks nice (and stays tidy). Go figure. Anna

    ReplyDelete