Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The sheets saga

OMG! I really do hate buying sheets!  It's been one disappointment after another.

I finally decided what I was going to do to replace my torn sheet. Instead of spending $80 on Amazon for one set, I was going back to Target to buy a fitted sheet in same (or close to it) brown color as my still perfectly good top sheet from the set with the now torn fitted sheet.  AND I was going to buy another set (in same color) like I have.  That way I'd have 2 sets of sheets to rotate and hopefully last several years.

So, after I get done working (an at home day) I head on over to Target.  But no, they don't have my brown color in stock.  Just a "birch" kind of brown color. A fitted sheet in that color really didn't match my brown top sheet at all. I had already looked online (which was what gave me the idea to buy just the fitted sheet) and saw "my" brown color.  I went back home and got the fitted sheet and the sheet set in my cart and it came to $79.33.  I had a $10 off $50 bedding and bath coupon and a pharmacy rewards 5% off coupon, as well as my $100 gift card. But wait! There was also a $25 off $100 bedding and bath coupon.  I can do the math: If I spend another $20.66 on something I can get $25 off! So basically whatever I add to my cart is free, plus a few more dollars off my total.  That's a no brainer.

I've been wanting a new throw blanket in cream color for the sofa. Of course I wanted to keep it in this $20 range and of course the one I found I liked best and for a few pennies over what I needed to spend was out of stock. I either didn't like any of the other blankets or they were now in the $30 range or they were $19.99, which wasn't enough to get me to $100.

So, I spent another hour on the computer trying to figure out what to buy. I finally picked out a tissue box holder for the bathroom and another bath towel. Now my total was $100.25. Put in the $25 off code, my 5% off code (and for some reason it was giving me the 5% red card discount even though I had put in a gift card code) and got it down to $67.92. Hit submit and then it popped up that the fitted sheet item was removed and could not be shipped at this time. OMG!  Now it was showing out of stock.  I can't just pick a different color, because then I'd have a top and fitted sheet that don't match at all. I backed out and haven't ordered anything now.

To make matters worse I got out the old old sheet set and washed it so I could pull off the ripped sheet set and use it until the new set(s) came. But NOOOOOO....it's so old style that my mattress is too tall for it and it won't fit on the mattress.  I had to remake the bed with the torn sheet on it because that is all we have to use right now!

I GIVE UP!  Tomorrow I'm just going to go buy one set in whatever color and be done with it.

9 comments:

  1. I always buy my sheets at TJ Maxx because they have designer sheets at a fraction of the price. I like the 800 all cotton sheets that would cost $250-300 for a king set but I can get them there for $60-90.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so weird because my bottom fitted sheet is torn and needs replacing and I've been dreading the hunt...and I have no idea how it tore but put it on one day and saw the mattress pad peeping through and the hole has gotten bigger and bigger. sigh. trying to put it off at least another week or week and a half because I'm working 12 hr rotating shifts and dont feel like shopping plus it'll be payday again and hopefully a better check!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way - how did it suddenly get all ripped? I think if I were working your long hours I'd be ordering online ;)

      Delete
  3. Flat sheets and fitted sheets don't have to match, as long as they are not too similar and look like you tried to match but failed! How about Brown and Beige? Buy a beige or creme fitted to go with the brown top sheet? Or another color that looks good with your quilt/comforter/blanket and the brown?? Pale blue or aqua that is very popular? As long as it goes in your room, would look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thought I woke up to this morning - just get a coordinating color.

      Delete
  4. PS We don't use top sheets, as my husband hates them(hates the feel of getting tangled up in them, etc.) and I was not brought up using them. So I just always buy a fitted sheet, and do wash my comforter every few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, just get a coordinating color of fitted sheet. Your eyes are closed when you sleep anyway so who cares if they match? lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya ;) LOL I just usually buy in sets, so they've always matched. Gotta retrain the thinking process!

      Delete