Sunday, January 11, 2015

Price comparisons

While grocery shopping yesterday morning I did some store brand vs. name brand price comparisons on some items I was buying. While looking at a 5# bag of flour the name brand was $2.48 and the store brand was $1.78. At first glance that doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it comes out to a 28% savings in price! And, while I am usually very conscious of pricing per unit, I was really surprised at the difference in price between the small 2# bag and the 5# bag. The 2# bag was 1.22 compared to $1.78 for the 5# bag. That's 2 1/2 times more flour for only 46% more price.

Here are a few others:
Sugar: $2.08 vs $2.58.  20% savings. Also interesting was the store brand was $2.38. But on the very bottom shelf was a very generic looking bag with really nothing on it except "Sugar". There was no price tag below it. I decided to buy it and it rang up at $2.08. Looks exactly the same as the sugar I added it to in my canister.......

Boil in a bag rice: $1.66 vs. 2.12.  27% savings
Small can of sliced olives: $1.22 vs $1.38. 11% savings
4 pack Greet yogurt: $3.38 vs. $3.78. 10% savings
Milk: $2.98 vs $3.38. 12% savings


While looking at the small picture, I only saved $2.62 total on these items, but doing this on items each week can add up over a year.  I also saved buying a store brand gallon jug of drinking water, but neglected to compare prices.

I haven't tried the store brand yogurt yet, so the jury is still out on whether that will pass the taste test! But it's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment