Friday, January 23, 2015

Suggestions?

Help! I need something to watch on TV! I finished my latest watch of 6 seasons of Friday Night Lights and now I have no idea what to watch.  I'm looking for suggestions.  Preferably a show that has several seasons that will keep me busy watching for awhile. I'm not picky on the genre - I pretty much like most types of shows, but I do seem to prefer the hour long type of shows versus the 1/2 hour sitcoms.  I have Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video libraries to choose from.  Give me some ideas.  There really has been nothing on (except Downton Abbey) to watch on regular tv.

I think I'm going to have to spend a few dollars and get some new gadget to stream Netflix and Amazon on our tv. The Sony blu-ray dvd player we have had for a year is just not streaming. It shows it's connected to the internet and with a good connection. I keep resetting over and over and finally after a half hour of trying (maybe) it will finally log on. After about 5 minutes of trying I usually just give up and watch on my ipad mini. Looks like my choices are the Google Chromecast or the new Amazon Firestick. Anyone have one of those and are they reliable? Basically, I want something that I can turn on, choose my streaming service and pick a show or movie to watch. Not sit there and keep trying to log in.....I had thought the $50 blu-ray player would be a good choice for the streaming, as we could also watch a dvd (which that part still works), but apparently not :/


13 comments:

  1. We have a Roku upstairs that works good for Netflix and use the Wii on our main TV. I think the wii is easier to use to search shows than the Roku.

    Shows my husband and I watch together: On Netflix - Psych - gets funnier and funnier the more you watch it, How I Met Your Mother, Vampire Diaries, The League, Being Human, Walking Dead (not sure if this is on Netflix or we rented it)

    Good Shows that we have rented to watch: Dexter, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones

    I also watched Felicity and Ally McBeal by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My DD and I love Psych! We watched it all the years it was on. I miss it! I have watched some of Game of Thrones (some on free HBO weekends with our cable company and some borrowed season from library) I really liked it but the only way for me to see it (since we don't subscribe to HBO) is borrowing from library and it's such a long wait!

      I will check into some of these shows I haven't watched and/or heard of. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  2. We have the google chromecast and it works like a champ. The cool thing is you can also sync to your cell phone and watch whatever is playing on your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Hercule Poirot on Netflix. There are 60 episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting - I used to love to read those books as a kid!

      Delete
    2. David Suchet plays the role wonderfully

      Delete
  4. I have been enjoying the series Scandal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been rotating through a few things, because I have to keep myself motivated while exercising. I am currently working my way through Supernatural, Person of Interest, and Pushing Daisys - I have to rotate or I lose interest and will not force myself to get through my cardio. Some of my favorites have been The Unusuals (only one season, unfortunately), Lie to Me, Being Human (both SyFy and UK versions), Sherlock, Fringe, Grimm, the Glades, and Wallander. We have a Roku in our bedroom and an Amazon Fire in the family room; both work really well with streaming, although I am typically watching on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I tried to watch a few episodes of that last year. Maybe it's just because we are so inundated with 2 drug houses in my neighborhood, that I wasn't digging watching something about the drug scene. I want it out of our lives, so watching it wasn't being enjoyable. Hopefully one day!

      Delete
  7. Well, since it was mentioned twice - Being Human has won out. I'm on episode 4. It's pretty good. I do enjoy the bits of humor/sarcasm thrown in. I'm also definitely going to try Shelly's suggestion of Hercule Poirot.

    Thanks for all the great suggestions. And I think I'm going to get the Amazon Fire TV stick, especially since we already have Amazon Prime . Except they are out of stock until mid February. I also currently have $15 in Amazon gift cards, which will bring the cost down to $25 for me. Maybe I can earn some more Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks before they are in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late to the party as usual & you've already picked, but thought I'd chime in. I just finished watching all 15 seasons of ER - one of my all time favorite shows. I LOVED Weeds ... not as dark as Breaking Bad (which I am currently watching). Love Grey's Anatomy & loved Private Practice. I would go back & watch those again. Frasier & Friends were my favorite sitcoms ever (all seasons of Friends now on Netflix!). My mom loved Dexter & the Big C, although Big C was only 4 seasons. There are soooo many shows I'd love to watch .... I just don't know WHAT I do in my spare time that I can't seem to watch any of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't ever watched ER - that would keep me busy for a long time LOL. I loved Private Practice too. DD and I watched through all the seasons together last year. I've watched about 4 seasons of Greys - that might be a good one to start over and pick up watching again. I'm just finishing up season 1 of Being Human and must say I've gotten hooked on this vampire, werewolf and ghost, haha!

      Delete